need help - a/c in 12 meter aft cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ramblin

need help - a/c in 12 meter aft cabin

Post by ramblin »

I have a 1989 12 meter aft cabin and the a/c in the salon isn't blowing cold. It was ok last year. there are 2 other units (aft and fwd) that blow cold. Water is running, so that isn't it. The salon unit has 2 seprate components, in the ceiling of the salon is the blower (it's mounted under the dash on the fly bridge) blows air ok. I believe there is the compressor (?) unit in the aft compartment near the shower, as that's were the water is pumping.

any idea where to start? could it just need a recharge and if so is that a DYI? any idea on getting access to the compressor, if thats what needs checking?

thanks
Doc Holiday

Re: need help - a/c in 12 meter aft cabin

Post by Doc Holiday »

I'd see if your marina office has a vendor list for Air Conditioner guys and contact one of them. They might/should know where to look for the compressor if no else chimes in. When you do find it take a picture of the spec plate (has the type of refrigerant and the amount in addition to some other stuff). Most likely you have a small leak and will need a recharge. Plan on spending $150-250. If you're not certified to work on refrigerant systems I wouldn't touch it... especially in the middle of summer when no AC can put a serious damper on your boating.
bluesrocker22

Re: need help - a/c in 12 meter aft cabin

Post by bluesrocker22 »

I thought the salon AC was all (compressor and fan) located under the helm station. My 12 meter motor yacht has 3 AC sytems. Aft cabin, salon, and V berth.