New F32 owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Fun sized

New F32 owner

Post by Fun sized »

Hi All,
Been lurking around for quite awhile now. Figured its time to post up and say thanks for all the great info..

I picked up a 1981 F32 a few months ago.. spent the first week cleaning up all the wiring and re running all the wire that feeds the two gps plotters that had been installed with all surface mounted wire. While I was at it I added LED lighting to the salon and the kitchen. I also swapped all the nav lights to LED. Now all the wire and add on installation are all cleaned up, looking good and safe!

Week two I started on plumbing. There was a small leak that just kept working down the line. That original 3/8 crap that was in the boat sucked! I gutted all of it and replaced it with 1/2 pex. All color coded insulated and brass fitting. While I was at it I put shut offs at every fixture for future work..

Week three I started the head replacement. This turned into a two week job only because I'm OCD about some things.. I replaced the head with a Raritan Elegance. ( Best money spent so far) while I was at it I replaced all the lines from the head to the tank tank to the pump out and the three way valve and the line running to it. Oh and the vent line. All new, all double clamped with S.S. clamps. All I can say is love it!

Now while I was there and basically had the port side and bow all uncovered and opened I decided to clean up and modify a few things first I rebult the bow are storage so that the holding tank sat lower and added some extra storage space.. I also relocated the 3way valve to under the storage floor with just the handle visable. I made a few extra pieces and completely enclosed the holding tank and lines. Making the under cusion storage fully functional. And all the head components hidden.. While doing all this I picked up a couple gallons of bright white paint and everything was painted the bilge areas all the storage compartments everything I opened up got two or three coats! She looks clean and bright!

Week five..I liked the way the white came out so much I kept going I did the insides of the bath cabinet the kitechen cabinets and both port and starboard storage cabs in the salon.. The white will just keep going as I work on things it looks great..

Week 6- current is wood work. I have been oiling the interior every 7-14 days and it's looking so much better! I have start the exterior bright work but it's a slow process. The previous owner varnished and didn't do a great job so lots of sanding and lots of oil.. I'm not a varnish fan so oil it is! So far I have the ladder complete the back rail complete and getting ready to start the side pocket trims next week. Then on to the upper helm. Last will be the swim step.

So far that's where I'm at.. my next big project will be to swap the A/C out for a heat pump.. I'm in the PNW and heat is just as important as A/C. I think I have all the routing figured out in my head but we will see I gotta get the unit sized right first..

Thanks for all the good info!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New F32 owner

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like your getting it together . any photos of the projects ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Wow thats a lot of work. Pics?
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Fun sized

Post by Fun sized »

I'll have to work on the photos it always says they are too large..
Anyone have a btu recommendation for a new heat pump?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

A little late to the party but wondering if you added the raritan tank monitor as well when you did the head.
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Congrats! I’ve been getting used to our 1980 F32. She is definitely a fun little project. I use the word little with great sarcasm.
Currently Trojan-less :?
Fun sized

Post by Fun sized »

Attachments
IMG_20180704_154823.jpg
IMG_20180704_154823.jpg (97.1 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
Fun sized

Post by Fun sized »

Ok the new photo upload is working great! I'll post some project photos soon..untill then you just get my girl in her July 4th outfit.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Nice
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

sounds like a full time job !!!!!!!

but it's fun, and satisfying, isn't it?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Fun sized

Post by Fun sized »

RWS wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:40 am sounds like a full time job !!!!!!!

but it's fun, and satisfying, isn't it?

RWS
I love doing projects. The key to boat projects is one at a time and try not to let them spool in to larger projects. Like when I did the bright work I realised all the stantions need to be rebed in sealent and the fasting hardware needs replaced and backing plates should be added. I was half way there having all the rails off and choose not to do that. That is it's own project and one I'll tackle over the winter.
Fun sized

Post by Fun sized »

IMG_20180726_125537.jpg
IMG_20180726_125537.jpg (40.69 KiB) Viewed 7676 times

Some bright work photos..
Attachments
IMG_20180822_180647.jpg
IMG_20180822_180647.jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 7676 times
Captrichc
Moderate User