COIL HEATING UP AND CUTTING OUT

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

PLAYMATE

COIL HEATING UP AND CUTTING OUT

Post by PLAYMATE »

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM ?
1977 360 CHRYSLER WITH ECM. NO POINTS.
I CAN NOT FIND THE CULPRIT!!!
THANKS'.
horhay1946

Re: COIL HEATING UP AND CUTTING OUT

Post by horhay1946 »

That version uses a ballast resistor which drops the voltage in run. Check the voltage at the positive of the coil when in run. should be about 8v. Possible culprits are the resistor or the start switch or the electronic control box. You can switch to a pertronix unit and eliminate the electronics box and the ballast resistor.
1985 Mako 258 (One Owner)
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
PLAYMATE

Post by PLAYMATE »

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. ITS DRIVING ME NUTS.
I WILL LOOK INTO BOTH.
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

I had the same problem. I switched to Pertronix dist. and its fixed. I can finally relax idleing through the busy channel and docking. :D
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Also check the ballast resistor, they can fail and have the same symptom. My money is on either the control box or the ballast resistor, both of which are common failure items on cars as well as boats.

There are a lot of control boxes out there for Chrysler engines, with prices from below $20 to well over $100. I went with a car version from Napa for my spare, along with a ballast resistor. As far as I can tell it is identical to the Sierra marine version.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

I have switched to a Mallory on the starboard engine and to a pertronix on the port engine. I have some spare parts left over for the Chrysler dizzy. If you want to keep the Chrysler PM me and I will let you know what I have.
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
hammerhead

Post by hammerhead »

not sure if i have the same issue or not. every once in a while the port motor will just die running at cruising speed but it starts right back up with no issues. any thoughts
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

My 76 Trojan with 360's has same problem. Can you put Pertronics in the original Chrysler distributor or must you get another dist?? I have changed the coil and ballast resisters with no change. Engines run fine until I slow down to dock, them they die but will start right back up.
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

The pertronix kit can be installed in the stock distributor. You remove the reluctor wheel and the plate with the pickup then install the pertronix kit. You will need to bypass the ballast resistor and the electronic box for the distributor. You will also need a new coil. Just follow the wiring diagram and you should have no problems
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

I bought the complete Petronix distributor. Installation was easy. As stated above you will need to bypass the ballast and get the required coil. I ordered from Summitracing.com they had them in stock and are local for me.
Dustin
Catawba Island, Ohio
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

Horhay1946, do you happen to have the Pertronix kit #? I called Pertronixs with the Chrysler distributor # I have on a 76' 360 and they told me they had nothing to fit it, but I would think it would be the same as a car without the vacuum advance. Anyway, I am still looking.
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Just FYI. if the bushings are worn out in the distributor from being 42 years old the kit won't fix that. I would check the play and runout on the shaft before you buy just the kit.
Dustin
Catawba Island, Ohio
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

I have another distributor that came out of one of my engines. It still has the Chrysler setup and I do not think that the shaft is worn. What you want to do is look on the tag on your distributor and that will determine which kit you need. I have Chrysler 360s. PM me for more info.
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

Horhay1946, the only #s on my distributors are the Chrysler#36759 and #1354. the latter is a " coast guard" marine # according to a person I talked to at Pertronix. The same person said they could not id either of those #s so they could not supply a kit for me. That is why I wondered if you had the kit #. I may end up buying a complete distributor if all else fails. Yesterday, I installed a new ecm but weather in the Chesapeake has not allowed a run, so I can't tell you if I have made any gain. Bill
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

My distributor is a Prestolite IBM-7016, 7017 which uses kit # 91582. You can search the pertronix catalog and on page 24 is the listing for all Chrysler marine distributors. You may have to go the new distributor route or find a later module Chrysler distributor. My boat is an 81
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George