onan generator

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fpawn

onan generator

Post by fpawn »

Have a 6.5 Onan on my 1981 F32 and wondering if any one has rebuilt one and is worth the work. The last couple of seasons has not run. Any opinions???
Brooks

Re: onan generator

Post by Brooks »

You'll find that "It depends... ". Onan parts are increasingly hard to find, and when found are expensive. Generators have come a long way since then too, and a portable Honda on the bow may do better and be cheaper in the long run. Use this for whatever it's worth.

My story is actually good - the guy I bought the boat from didn't even know there was a generator on board. It didn't work at first, and when it did, it do so at 160 VAC. Adjusting the carb and slowing down the motor brought it into spec, then the sea water pump failed, $900 from the store, or $250 for an ebay rebuild? The ebay one is working fine, however MCCK impellers are $45 each. Pricey.

I know if mine dies again, it's Honda time - I think I've exhausted all the available parts, and the boat might benefit by not dragging around 600 pounds of seldom used generator.

Good luck in your decision
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Depends on what is wrong with it . While Hondas are popular they are not true marine generators . Running one on the bow is very unsafe . About the only safe place would be on the swim platform if you have one . Any place else and your asking for fumes and carbon monoxide to get in the boat . still need to be careful on the platform .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Also, depending on what boat you have and where the generator is located, you may need its weight in the stern for ballast to avoid bow steering.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I have rebuilt two onan raw water pumps, in particular what is expensive is the bearing and shaft. I have posted on the board pictures and what bearing to purchase. Bearing cost $31 then $100 for machine work to duplicate what inside the water pump. My pully actual was wallered out so I bought a new 3 in and had a keyway cut in the shaft. Works perfect.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
fpawn

Post by fpawn »

I don't use generator much, but like to keep it working.. I had it running up to a couple of years ago. If I remember , impeller was shot and such a pain to replace. Know any body in Boston area that knows these generators?? It is on a 1981 F 32
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

suggest you google terms together like:

PORTABLE GENERATOR

BOAT

DEATH

FATAL

CARBON MONOXIDE

read those accounts and do additional research

after some due diligence you decide if you want to risk your life and those you are responsible for.

....... once you do your own research, it's unlikely a reasonable person will go portable.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
fpawn

Post by fpawn »

I agree with you on going portable and have no intention on doing. I rather get the Onan up and running