Barnacle Buster

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captrichc
Moderate User

Re: Barnacle Buster

Post by Captrichc »

WayWeGo wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:05 am Yes, that is the problem. Like most companies, they do not want to give away any of their secrets, so the technical data is vague and the MSDS only has to list dangerous chemicals. With the concentrate version being less than 50% phosphoric acid, there is another 50% of unlisted ingredients that are not hazardous, but not likely to be all water.
This is true. But what could be the other ingredients besides water? Wouldn't the acid destroy most other addictives?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Captrichc wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 pmThis is true. But what could be the other ingredients besides water? Wouldn't the acid destroy most other addictives?
I suspect the other ingredients include buffers to control the PH at safe levels and corrosion inhibitors.

If you have any aluminum or zinc in your circulation path for the flush, I would be very careful.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

WayWeGo wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:13 am
Captrichc wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 pmThis is true. But what could be the other ingredients besides water? Wouldn't the acid destroy most other addictives?
I suspect the other ingredients include buffers to control the PH at safe levels and corrosion inhibitors.

If you have any aluminum or zinc in your circulation path for the flush, I would be very careful.
I dont know if I do. I was only going to run it through the heat exchange.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

You most likely have a zinc in your heat exchanger, not sure about anything else.

I only ran through my heat exchanger as only the elbows get raw water besides that. I did run the solution through my A/C afterwards.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Aiden

Post by Aiden »

BOTH are good Both will clean out scale and growth and will do a great job on the cooler
tonydelgreco

Post by tonydelgreco »

I believe I only payed $60.00 for a gallon at West Marine. That was plenty to do 1 motor. I believe if you strain the used BB it can be re-used for the other motor. I have seen this but have not personally tried it.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

One gallon of concentrate did both engines and my A/C raw water system.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

I only need to do 1 engine since the heat exchange was just replaced on the other engine. And I dont have a AC unit... yet... :wink:
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers