Starter Humming

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tonydelgreco

Starter Humming

Post by tonydelgreco »

I have a 78 F 32 with Chrysler 360's. I think the port starter stayed out on flywheel and motor staled. Now just hums when I try to start. Any body know where I can pick up a rebuilt starter, I live in Massachusetts? Does the port motor counter rotate? Is it worth trying to have the original re-built? Would like to be running before the weekend. Have been working on various issue since June and becoming frustrated to the point of maybe selling and going back to a Sea Ray.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Starter Humming

Post by WayWeGo »

Bob at Beacon Marine should have what you need: 609-713-4602
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
tonydelgreco

Post by tonydelgreco »

Thank you. Found a local company that re-builds the original. 24 hr turn around 1 yr. warranty.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Look at the flywheel while its off the teeth and make sure ring gear is in place
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
tonydelgreco

Post by tonydelgreco »

I am a little ignorant to the ring gear. Where is that in respect to the fly wheel? Starter is ready and will re-install on Thursday, when this horrific heat breaks.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The ring gear is in simple terms the teeth on the flywheel
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

The ring gear is on the flywheel but the starter comes from rear of engine in marine configuration. The ring gear is pressed on flywheel from the front end of the engine like it was to be used on a standard clutch flywheel which is what is what it is. Normally the starter would come from front of engine and not cause the problem. Sometimes the ring gear can be driven by the starter bendix and slip toward the front of the engine causing the starter bendix to not engage. It is a pain in the rear as you have to remove the tranny and flywheel. I Had one welded to the flywheel and solved it. If the flywheel is damaged you cannot get a new one. I have a couple of extra if needed.

Bottom line is if ring gear moved it is part of a design flaw, manufacturer should have made a different flywheel, but must be fixed.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
tonydelgreco

Post by tonydelgreco »

Thanks for the help. Will inspect today before I re-install the starter. There was a bunch of oil in the housing of starter bendix. Hope this was leaking over a long period of time to gather all that oil. Will try to inspect bell housing for oil gathering and if oil levels are good in motor and transmission I will let it go till next season. If not I probably will have to separate transmission from motor and change seals. What transmission fluid should I be using? It seems like problems are never ending. Boat must have been a condo on the water before I got it last August. I do feel lucky, and surprised I made it from Boston to my home port when I got it though.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Look through inspection window or with starter out. Ring gear should solid against the shoulder of the flywheel if any gap it will need to be repaired. Ring gears are available, flywheel not available new.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
tonydelgreco

Post by tonydelgreco »

Thanks all. I'm done for the season!!!!!!!!!! Ring gear moved .25" back. This sucks, season is already to short. Will remove and repair when boat is hauled for season next month. 4 K invested this year and only able to take off the dock 4 times and towed back once. Any body want to buy it LOL! :oops: :cry: :(
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

The starter may need to be shimmed in order to contact the ring gear. Shims are available at auto parts stores. (Humming means the starter is running, but not engaging flywheel.)
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker