1963 36' Sea Voyager overheating starboard engine

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

csgt428

1963 36' Sea Voyager overheating starboard engine

Post by csgt428 »

So I took my new Voyager on its maiden voyage yesterday and the engine alarm went off on the starboard engine immediately. I shut it down and continued up river a few miles anyway...probably not the best move... and made it back OK. No fun entering the marina w one screw to tie up. Made it with no unwanted contacts. You basically lose all rudder control once you slow down, and the boat wants to turn to starboard in forward gear with only the port engine working. Fortunately reverse is sort of the opposite. Of course I had all left hand turns going in... Whew! I went looking for the problem and determined there was no water coming out the starboard wet exhaust. Took the cover off the crank mounted exhaust/raw water impeller and found the problem. It had NO vanes left on it! I'd like to replace them on both engines and buy some spares but the cheapest I found at the local boat shop is $47 apiece coming out of Montana. I'm not even sure they ordered the right one....all I told him was that they were 80's era 350 Crusaders with V-belt not serpentine and were driven off the front of the crank. I'll find out tomorrow.

Anybody know of a good inexpensive source of 350 crusader parts? I'd like to order up at least a couple more impellers, and who knows what will break next. He just let the boat sit for the last eight years...…

Next is figuring out how to seal up the hull above the water line. The port side of the boat faced south for 8 years and I can see daylight between most of the planks! The North side not as bad but still needs sealing up also.

Grant Hatch
1963 36' Sea Voayager
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1963 36' Sea Voyager overheating starboard engine

Post by prowlersfish »

You need to find all the parts of the impeller . Also If your pick up is plugged up you could burn the new one up in short order .

To seal the hull replace any rot and
Below the water line ( and close too IMO)
https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/f ... ound-brown
Above the water line
https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/f ... ound-white

Then paint , lots of paint :)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
csgt428

Post by csgt428 »

Thanks, I replaced the impeller yesterday. Dug out all the remaining vanes after the new impeller didn't want to go all the way in. Started it up after pouring a couple gallons of water down a coolant hose leading to it from the heat exchanger tank.... Good news! Lots of water coming out the exhaust and no leaks now. Hopefully the PO didn't overheat the engine before I fixed it. Starts easily and sounds good so my fingers are crossed.
There isn't one manual on the boat for anything.... I'd like to get one for the 350 Crusaders if nothing else....

Now, to seal up the cracks between the planks in the hull. Thanks for the links Prowlerfish. Nice to know they make a product designed for that. I do have some dry rot spots.... Not sure if I can use some other kind of wood or if I need to use mahogany planking?

Grant Hatch
1963 36' Sea Voayager
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I put a link to good sealers for wood in my post above
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Check with the host of this site, Beacon Marine, for a complete set of manuals for your boat. http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... f=1&t=2695
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's