Trojan Gauges 1970-1980

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BeaconMarineDon
Beacon Don
Beacon Don

Trojan Gauges 1970-1980

Post by BeaconMarineDon »

From 1970-1980 Trojan used AC Delco gauges. Occasionally, some Trojan F Boats before 1980 (like the F-30 1979-1980) used Datcon gauges.
Problems occur when these rules are not followed. Often, this is the mistake of a marine technician who is unaware of how Delco gauges and senders work together.

A very common mistake deals with Delco gauges and senders. Typically, an owner notices a gauge problem and assumes it's an issue with the sender. The sender is replaced with an off-brand / non-Delco sender -- only to find that the Delco gauge readings are off or the gauge is not working at all.

Here are some of the basics of Delco gauges and senders:

1. You can identify a Delco gauge by it's tin backing. Delco gauges do not have plastic backs.

2. There are two types of Delco gauge - a single station gauge and a dual station gauge.
Delco gauges are are also stamped as 'Single' or 'Dual' on the side (see photo)

3. Each type of Delco gauge has a single sender. For example, Delco fuel gauges must use a Delco fuel sender. The same applies to
engine temperature and oil pressure gauges. Note: A Delco sender will power either a single or a dual gauge system.

4. Trojan used either white needle or orange needle Delco gauges.

At Beacon Marine, we have Delco single and dual gauges. We also have the senders for fuel and engine temperature. We *do not* have any
Delco oil pressure senders. But, *WE DO* have an oil pressure gauge that is a close match to the Delco oil gauge and a matching oil pressure sender.
Attachments
gauge4b.JPG
gauge4b.JPG (49.37 KiB) Viewed 24545 times
gauge3b.JPG
gauge3b.JPG (8.28 KiB) Viewed 24545 times
gauge2.JPG
gauge2.JPG (54.77 KiB) Viewed 24545 times
gauge1.JPG
gauge1.JPG (31.96 KiB) Viewed 24545 times
Don -- Beacon Marine Supply
Don@TrojanBoats.net
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
JimmyPajama

Re: Trojan Gauges 1970-1980

Post by JimmyPajama »

Very helpful - I would like to replace my gauges. I know gauges differ by the type of engine and drive. My gauges are plastic backed and green see attached. Do I need to replace the sending units when replacing the gauges?

Thanks Jimmy
boat gauges.jpg
boat gauges.jpg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 23740 times
1979 F32 Express Lake Minnetonka
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Your gauges will need to match the senders .You may be able to get gauges with the same specs. I don't believe your gauges are the original . Any close ups ? If I zoom in they get blurry
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Why are you replacing them ? Any issues
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:45 pm Your gauges will need to match the senders .You may be able to get gauges with the same specs. I don't believe your gauges are the original . Any close ups ? If I zoom in they get blurry
I believe those gauges are original as they match what was originally on my '79 F32. I understood they were 'DetMar' gauges - Detroit Marine - but have never been able to confirm it. I replaced mine with some new Teleflex gauges that were compatible with existing senders.
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

captainmaniac wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm
prowlersfish wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:45 pm Your gauges will need to match the senders .You may be able to get gauges with the same specs. I don't believe your gauges are the original . Any close ups ? If I zoom in they get blurry
I believe those gauges are original as they match what was originally on my '79 F32. I understood they were 'DetMar' gauges - Detroit Marine - but have never been able to confirm it. I replaced mine with some new Teleflex gauges that were compatible with existing senders.
Where and how did you get the specs for the sending units?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Captrichc wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:40 pm Where and how did you get the specs for the sending units?
It was way too long ago that I don't remember... If I remember correctly there are 2 primary types of senders - one is based on current, the other based on resistance. What I replaced the old gauges with was Teleflex Red International, which worked with whatever senders I had. I had a tach blip out a few years later and replaced them with new Teleflex Amega ones (since Red Internationals were discontinued by that point).

Here is what one of my old (original) gauges looks like
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 23661 times
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 23661 times
One other consideration as Bob indicated - single vs dual station setups require different senders. If you only have a single station and are adding a new set of controls you would need new sender. If you are dual station right now and are disconnecting one set of gauges, you may need to switch to 'single station' sender. Also make sure you get stuff for inboard engine vs outboard! But if not changing configuration, if you research what what kind of sender the teleflexes need, that's probably what you have.

EDIT
Just took a closer look at the packaging from one of the Red International Water Temp gauges and sticker says 'For Code D Sender' looked. So did a quick search and found this http://gfretwell.com/electrical/teleflex%20senders.pdf From this you can see a Code D sender for dual station is 120ohm at 120f... so you can probably use this to figure out what senders you probably have and then find new gauges compatible with those specs.
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

captainmaniac wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:43 pm
Captrichc wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:40 pm Where and how did you get the specs for the sending units?
It was way too long ago that I don't remember... If I remember correctly there are 2 primary types of senders - one is based on current, the other based on resistance. What I replaced the old gauges with was Teleflex Red International, which worked with whatever senders I had. I had a tach blip out a few years later and replaced them with new Teleflex Amega ones (since Red Internationals were discontinued by that point).

Here is what one of my old (original) gauges looks like

Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg

One other consideration as Bob indicated - single vs dual station setups require different senders. If you only have a single station and are adding a new set of controls you would need new sender. If you are dual station right now and are disconnecting one set of gauges, you may need to switch to 'single station' sender. Also make sure you get stuff for inboard engine vs outboard! But if not changing configuration, if you research what what kind of sender the teleflexes need, that's probably what you have.

EDIT
Just took a closer look at the packaging from one of the Red International Water Temp gauges and sticker says 'For Code D Sender' looked. So did a quick search and found this http://gfretwell.com/electrical/teleflex%20senders.pdf From this you can see a Code D sender for dual station is 120ohm at 120f... so you can probably use this to figure out what senders you probably have and then find new gauges compatible with those specs.
Awesome info. Thankyou so much for all the help.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers