Loud ticking/knock from starboard engine

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Birdman71

Loud ticking/knock from starboard engine

Post by Birdman71 »

Well toke it out and about 15minutes later loud ticking/knocking from starboard side.headed back to pier.had rpms at about 3700 when it happened temp was about 205,it runs warmer then portside,no loss of oil pressure,or power just continuous ticking even at idle.not an exhaust leak,leaning towards bad lifter.has anyone had similar issues?what results did you find.motors are 454 crusaders with 800hrs,oil,fuel is good. Thanks for any info
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Loud ticking/knock from starboard engine

Post by prowlersfish »

Is it louder under load ? if so recheck for a exhaust leak look at manifold gaskets . Look for broken or bad or lose spark plug '. also spark jumping can tick . If all checks well It could lose valve or push rod . Someone with experience could listen and give you a better idea .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Pull the valve covers and check the rocker arms and fasteners.Hopefully that is not a loud heavy knock.
Birdman71

Post by Birdman71 »

Bad news update!
Well after purchasing it with 800hrs and only putting maybe 5hrs myself, I now I have to pull the the starboard motor,it is a rod bearing.Bad luck
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sorry to hear that , 2 years ago ring after a haul and first trip of the year I put a rod thru the block . So I know the feeling and its not a good one .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

As long as your in there, you may want to just pull both motors and rebuild. Then you know what you have.

I blew a head gasket 2 years ago on my 88 and pulled the motor for a rebuild. Looked at the inboard stringer and decided to fix the weep hole issue, so pulled the starboard motor also. Figured as long as I had it out, I would send that one in as it had 1100 hours on it.

Turned out the the starboard motor had a broken piston skirt on the # 5 cylinder. No noises, or symptoms yet, but I would guess that would have failed about the time I got everything else put back and thought I was good to go.

It was a bit painful on the pocket book, but I now know exactly what I have. Good stringers, and 100 hour motors and transmissions.

Food for thought
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Birdman71

Post by Birdman71 »

gitchisum wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:25 am As long as your in there, you may want to just pull both motors and rebuild. Then you know what you have.

I blew a head gasket 2 years ago on my 88 and pulled the motor for a rebuild. Looked at the inboard stringer and decided to fix the weep hole issue, so pulled the starboard motor also. Figured as long as I had it out, I would send that one in as it had 1100 hours on it.

Turned out the the starboard motor had a broken piston skirt on the # 5 cylinder. No noises, or symptoms yet, but I would guess that would have failed about the time I got everything else put back and thought I was good to go.

It was a bit painful on the pocket book, but I now know exactly what I have. Good stringers, and 100 hour motors and transmissions.

Food for thought
Did you pull yourself or have someone?just getting rough ideas how much the pulling out motor is?
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

I had it done. Pull install, bottom up rebuilds, tranny rebuilds and stringers was about 10K. Also repainted bilge while all was out.

My mechanic has an articulating arm on the loader, so did not need to remove glass. Not sure what the in/out charge would be where you are at.
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Birdman71

Post by Birdman71 »

gitchisum wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:28 am I had it done. Pull install, bottom up rebuilds, tranny rebuilds and stringers was about 10K. Also repainted bilge while all was out.

My mechanic has an articulating arm on the loader, so did not need to remove glass. Not sure what the in/out charge would be where you are at.
Thanks,hopefully This week should be able to get some local pricing.
Birdman71

Post by Birdman71 »

This is what I'm dealing with
https://photos.app.goo.gl/24ArBUmLV3FfYc7e9
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Is that the engine with the rod bearing gone ? Cant hear anything on the link, and hard to see from the pic , but looks like there is not much if any oil getting up to the rockers etc.
Got the link to work, look into the oil thing. Mike
Birdman71

Post by Birdman71 »

mikeandanne wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:59 pm Is that the engine with the rod bearing gone ? Cant hear anything on the link, and hard to see from the pic , but looks like there is not much if any oil getting up to the rockers etc.
Yes,we noticed that as well,didn't understand that either.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

How is the oil pressure ? Sounds more like valve train noise and a lot of it
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Birdman71 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:57 pm
mikeandanne wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:59 pm Is that the engine with the rod bearing gone ? Cant hear anything on the link, and hard to see from the pic , but looks like there is not much if any oil getting up to the rockers etc.
Take the oil filter off and see if it has come apart inside.( little bits of filter material ). If it was me, the intake would be coming off to look at the cam to see what is going on with the oil, if the oil pump is gone or ?? you will definitely see damage on the cam lobes , that will be the teller. Mike
Birdman71

Post by Birdman71 »

mikeandanne wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 am
Birdman71 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:57 pm
Take the oil filter off and see if it has come apart inside.( little bits of filter material ). If it was me, the intake would be coming off to look at the cam to see what is going on with the oil, if the oil pump is gone or ?? you will definitely see damage on the cam lobes , that will be the teller. Mike
Yep,hopefully start pulling the manifold off next week,not to mention still trying figure out why the valve adjustment is so far out as well,crusader said they shouldn't be like that.uggh the problems.but leaning towards complete motor replacement instead of shortblock,that way all is fresh.