Battery configuration

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Battery configuration

Post by WayWeGo »

Fuses are primarily to protect the wiring, not the devices at the end of the wires. They should be at the beginning of the wire near the batteries, rather than next to the device if at all possible.

If you want to be really correct, ABYC wants a main fuse within 7" of the battery in most conditions.

Jim Healy has put a lot of thought into boat electrical systems and has many technical articles on his website - https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/. Nigel Calder's book "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems" is a great reference without the technical jargon that can make this a hard to understand subject.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

when we did the mechanical refit in 2005/6 we added the red handled switches in the engine room.

really wish hey had been placed somewhere better accessible from the cockpit

something to think about, should you have to shut down in an emergency situation, like a FIRE !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

RWS wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 am really wish hey had been placed somewhere better accessible from the cockpit
A good solution to this is remotely activated battery switches.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

I am installing these. 1 for each engine battery. And i am still debating if i should add a 3rd for the house battery since i have the house switches. Please advise...
Attachments
Screenshot_20190110-182016_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190110-182016_Chrome.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Looks great. Never had a problem with anything from Blue Sea.

Ok, now I'm jealous.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Just a FYI, a few years ago on my 24’ Express Cruiser, I ran a portable generator when weekending. To make sure I was as safe as possible, I installed a Xantrex/Kiddie Marine CO Detector onboard. They work differently than a household model, utilizing a modified sensing curve before alarming.

Oddly enough, I never had a problem with the portable generator, but two years later while running the boat over winter, a strong wind was blowing the boat’s engine exhaust into the cabin area while we inside. The CO detector quickly alerted us to a problem and we were able to open the portals to ventilate the area.

The CO Detector is probably one of the most critical optional alarms that should be installed onboard a gasoline powered boat.

That said, I need to get off my butt and get the one I bought last year installed on my F32!
Currently Trojan-less :?
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

oil&water wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 am Just a FYI, a few years ago on my 24’ Express Cruiser, I ran a portable generator when weekending. To make sure I was as safe as possible, I installed a Xantrex/Kiddie Marine CO Detector onboard. They work differently than a household model, utilizing a modified sensing curve before alarming.

Oddly enough, I never had a problem with the portable generator, but two years later while running the boat over winter, a strong wind was blowing the boat’s engine exhaust into the cabin area while we inside. The CO detector quickly alerted us to a problem and we were able to open the portals to ventilate the area.

The CO Detector is probably one of the most critical optional alarms that should be installed onboard a gasoline powered boat.

That said, I need to get off my butt and get the one I bought last year installed on my F32!
First thing i did was install a CO detector. I also plumbed the exhaust using exhast tubing over rhe gunnel wall to prevent and CO build up. Im going to build a silencing box for it with a 12 volt fan for cooling untill i save up enough for a marine genny.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

We have 10-year battery powered CO and smoke detectors in the v-berth and salon. While they are not the marine ones and are more likely to alarm, they have never gone off. I was expecting some issues with them since we often cruise at hull speed and can smell exhaust with a tailwind, but so far, not a problem.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Waywego this is not aimed at you, I believe I know which ones you have , it just came to mind after reading the last couple posts.

This CO stuff strikes a nerve as it is something I took care of at work for years......If your monitors are closing in on 5 years in service, they are due for replacement as the sensors are well past their useful life.FYI.. if they have ever been subjected to 1500 PPM or more I would replace. Now it is my understanding the marine ones are averaging to stay below a number they have chosen which could mean you could be subjected to low levels for quite some time, even though it is below the time weighted average acceptable value.They may be avoiding what they consider to be nuisance alarms with this strategy, the alarm number in industry is 35 PPM, and not time weighted until later, I have seen some large numbers when wind etc is all wrong.

Diesel guys , you are not out of the woods here, this applies to you just the same, granted the numbers are lower but the danger is always present. Carbon based fuel.

Not exactly sure how the home ones average, but the ones with the digital readouts will give you real time numbers which in my opinion is very valuable as you can decide what to do and have a record of the highest PPM the unit was subjected to which can be cleared and reset. Maybe there are some nice marine units out there now, I hope. I have three on our boat and what is interesting is they can all show different numbers for the same occurance.

Ok, rant over and back to the battery thread....everyone be safe. :D
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Blue Sea products worked well on the Instant Fun
Attachments
ENGINES IN.jpg
ENGINES IN.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
Blue Sea.jpg
Blue Sea.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
IMG_6965 (1).jpg
IMG_6965 (1).jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg (42.89 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
IMG_1528.jpg
IMG_1528.jpg (56.91 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

You can see the Blue Sea remote battery switches to the right side of the helm, behind the wheel.
Attachments
MAY 2018 (17).jpg
MAY 2018 (17).jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
MAY 2018 (15).jpg
MAY 2018 (15).jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

This looks so very GOOD!!!

no

AWESOME !!!!!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

David , I wish my wiring looked a 1/10 as good as yours . Nice
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Really nice job!!!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

DAVIDLOFLAND wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:38 am Blue Sea products worked well on the Instant Fun
Ok. So we need to talk lol. Id love to pick your brain in your configuration. Like what does the ECU stand for? Why so many different relays? Does relays mean the automatic charging relays or actual relays? We can move this to a private message if you like. Or if phone text is easier please let me know and i can PM you my cell.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers