Lewco FS1240ACD Battery Charger

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BradZ
Sporadic User

Lewco FS1240ACD Battery Charger

Post by BradZ »

I just picked up a Lewco FS1240ACD 3 - Bank battery charger. Has anyone had one? Currently using one? Or had one? Seems like a good marine charger but I'm looking for everyone's opinion on it.
50574085_10156227454967921_5334943482983219200_n.jpg
50574085_10156227454967921_5334943482983219200_n.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Lewco FS1240ACD Battery Charger

Post by prowlersfish »

Good charger in its day but honestly I would get a smart charger it I needed one . Much better for the batteries
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Definitely go for a smart charger.
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

So this charger works for different battery types and charges in multiple stages depending on the charge the battery needs. It handles three battery banks that can be different types of batteries. Will go down to a maintenance charge when needed. What does a smart charger give me that this doesn't?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Will it do 4 stage charging ? is the a setting for different types of batteries ? Not saying it won't work or its not a good charger . Just I would have gone with a "smart charger . But if had that on my boat would I change it ? only if it failed or gave me problems
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

This is out of the Manual for the charger. I picked this up for free because I'm on a tight budget this year because of all the repairs needed before spring.

LEWCO BATTERY CHARGER MANUAL…The Full Service (F.S.) model is load-handling
electronically controlled unit.
EFFICIENCY… Due to the extremely high forward-to-back current ratio, silicon rectifiers achieve
rectification efficiencies up to 99% at power frequencies. The high efficiency is characterized by
forward conduction voltage drops of approximately one volt, hence higher output voltages, and
reverse currents of the order of microamperes at the peak inverse voltage.
HERMETICALLY SEALED… Each silicon diode is hermetically sealed. This seal is a great
advantage to the marine field, for the ever present salt air and moisture cannot damage the silicon
diode.
CHARGER CABINETS… The cabinets are power coated.
CHARGING POWER… The charger, without damage to itself can be connected to discharged
banks of batteries and will fully charge them on a perfect taper curve, automatically reducing
charging rate to a trickle as batteries become charged.
INSTALLATION… Designed as a permanent installation in the boat and a permanent connection
to the battery bank.
LINE VOLTAGE... Compensation tap switch incorporated so that the converter may be operated
efficiently from either extremely high or low line voltages.
D. C. AMMETER… Ammeter is incorporated in the output circuit to indicate current being supplied
to batteries and accessories.
TRANSFORMER… The transformers are designed for marine use and incorporate isolated
primary and secondary coils. This prevents electrolysis and eliminates shock on the charging
lines.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You will be fine with it . And the price is right
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

When I replaced the Sentry charger on my '80 F26, it was wired through a dedicated circuit breaker. I replaced it with a NOCO smart charger that plugs into a cabin outlet -- breaker for the Sentry is still in place, but switched off and taped over. I don't think I can easily remove either the Sentry charger or the electricals without some contortion that I'm too old for (or some serious cabinet disassembly). Anyway, the plug for the new charger is breaker controlled -- and unplugging the charger is very convenient.

I recommend turning off or unplugging the charger when batteries are fully charged, at least until you know how well the charger works. If hard wired, you will want to use a circuit breaker -- probably want to test the charger in your shop before going through installation.
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

Sound Advice Oldboat1. Bringing batteries home this weekend to do just that. Plus measuring for cable lengths needed becuase I want to locate the charger as close to the batteries as possible. Will use #8 battery cable for charger to battery leads.