F32 Interior Wood Work

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Fishblues

F32 Interior Wood Work

Post by Fishblues »

What does everyone use to keep their interior wood trim and bulkheads looking good.

Or do I have to varnish to get it to shine again?

Thanks all!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F32 Interior Wood Work

Post by prowlersfish »

I have used Scotts liquid gold .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi FB,

This is probably old news to you because you've been around this Forum for a long time.

If it's teak or mahogany and the wood finish is still smooth but only faded a bit, I would use one coat of Satin finish Marine Cetol. That's just my opinion though. Not everyone likes this product.

I find the Gloss Cetol is too shiny.

If your finish is peeling though, my own experience has been that the teak must be sanded right down to the bare wood and then I'd Cetol it.

I always put four coats on Exterior teak or mahogany. The sun is hard on the finish. Then every spring I put on one coat. But it seemed whenever I got lazy, took a chance and skipped a spring, it would begin peeling before the summer was over. Then I'd have to sand it right down the next spring.

Inside the boat though, I'd put one coat on interior wood that isn't peeling and two coats on wood that I'd had sanded down. The bare wood soaks up the first coat and it looks patchy after drying. Second coat makes all the difference though.

I gave up varnishing (and I did a lot of it) after I sold off my mahogany runabouts and bought my previous tricabin. They were a labor of love with a heavy stress on the "labor" part. I have always been pleased with Cetol. I think a lot of the Trojan owners on this Forum use this product as you're probably already aware.

Word to the wise about the fact that not all Cetol products are created equal. One fateful day I noticed some satin finished regular Cetol on sale at a local paint store and made the mistake of buying it. I had just replaced the water stained teak walls in the rear berth of my tricabin. They found me after about an hour of brushing it on and zipped me to the hospital with heart attack symptoms. The fumes were poisonous in an enclosed area. Dum Dum here didn't know that. So beware and if using Cetol, buy the marine version. Marine Cetol apparently has what is called a high flash point (fumes dissipate relatively quickly).

Long winded reply.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Fishblues

Post by Fishblues »

Thanks, no peeling just a bit dull. All I ever use is Cetol so i'll give it a try.
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Can you take pictures of your interior. Mine is very dark. We were thinking of painting the walls to make them brighter. Anyone ever do this?
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

I have it on good authority that the factory used Watco Teak Oil to finish the wood work inside. I am staying with this because there is no chance of ever peeling due to the fact its a penetrating oil. Therefore you can just reapply as you see fit. The oil also will give you a nice shine if enough coats are applied. I like the idea of never having to strip or sand an old finish off of the woodwork. But I also like the dark woodwork and would never think of painting it. The interior can be brightened up with flooring, furniture and décor. No pictures yet but I'm in the process of oiling all the teak right now. Any blemishes can be blended in by using Miniwax Red Mahogany stain. hope this helps and as always this is just my opinion. But I have been working with wood and finishes for 35 years.
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I have used Watco exclusively on my 1978 f-32 and it looks great. Sort of gives the boat that new -boat smell also. Does not smell bad. The oil lasts a long time so if you do it you probably won't need to do it again for another 5 or 6 years.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I don't have my owner's manual in front of me, but I swear it says Minwax paste.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

I do have my manual for a 1976 F-32 and it says Watco Teak Oil.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

P-Dogg wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:53 pm I don't have my owner's manual in front of me, but I swear it says Minwax paste.
OK, now I do.
20190505_160957.jpg
20190505_160957.jpg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 13693 times
Attachments
20190505_161006.jpg
20190505_161006.jpg (58.35 KiB) Viewed 13693 times
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

Interesting guys. But I swear my 1976 manual say Watco Teak Oil. Now you got me wondering. I'm going to look tonight.. lol And I do have a can of Minwax paste wax I'm going to take up to the boat for sure... And it does say the finish has been improved so maybe they switched It in the 80s
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

And for the record, i wasnt being an ass by posting the pic with the checkmark next to the topic of discussion. Manual came with that check mark, no doubt placed by one of the two previous owners having this same conversation with themselves...... In truth, there are many options, and products change or new products with higher performance get introduced. Nice to see folks keeping up their boats, though.
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

Its all good P-Dogg. Its all about helping each other get the best results from our hard work right. Criticism is part of trying to help someone do a good or better job.
Fishblues

Post by Fishblues »

Thanks all for the reply's, but duh! never thought to look at my original manual for the answer.

So it seem's Trojan changed there minds on what to use for the interior somewhere after 1976 and before 1980. BradZ, your not crazy, P-Dogg your also correct. So here is my 1976 manual, WATCO it is!
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 13399 times
buffalobill

Post by buffalobill »

On our 1980 F 32 I have been using Liquid Gold with really good results. It brings out the true color of the wood and makes it glossy. Make sure you rub the old in. Faded wood seems to really suck in the old and restore the original coloring! :D