12 meter mystery tank

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 12 meter mystery tank

Post by prowlersfish »

Nothing like a good mystery :mrgreen:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bluesrocker22

Post by bluesrocker22 »

The tanks are indeed "tied together". When you start filling the aluminum tank beside the water heater, it starts dumping water down into the fiberglass "hull" tank. Once the "hull" tank is filled, the aluminum tank gets filled, and boom, all is done. We have a small small leak on top of the "hull" tank, so I have to seal that with some GLUVIT and then we should be all good to go. THANKS to everyone for all their help.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

And on to the next Mystery :mrgreen: Thanks for the up date
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
bluesrocker22

Post by bluesrocker22 »

Well, the saga continues. Since the two tanks are tied together, I have discovered a new problem. There is an "access hatch" about 7 inches in diameter on top of the "original" mid-line fiberglass tank. This "hatch" is leaking. Since the "add-on" tank is higher than the "original" tank, if you "FILL HER UP" then the water leaks from this hatch down into the bilge, until the water level is at the top of the "original" tank. In essence, you can never go over about 1/2 full, or the water just leaks down into the bilge.

This hatch is VERY hard to access. You can barely see it from the front bilge pump area, much less reach it to properly remove it and fix it. Any ideas?
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I recall when the minuteman missile was being put in the titan silos. They were bigger than the older missles. The air force was recruiting skinny missle techs, so they could fit in the available space.

How about a kid, or skinny boat mechanic?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
bluesrocker22

Post by bluesrocker22 »

That is funny. I was stationed in Wyoming at a Minuteman III base. Good times. Long ago. Me not skinny any longer.
joshhunsberger

Post by joshhunsberger »

Hello! So I have a 1989 12 Meter motor yacht as well, and we have both those mystery tanks you speak of the aluminum and builtin one! The current problem we have is that the “fresh water” tank that is in the front bilge has a leak also! But the water pressure from the shore/municipal hose that is connected to the side of the boat is very weak to almost nothing? Any one know why this happening, could it be cause of the leak?!? Also is that builtin tank even needed if we don’t take the boat in over trips where the holding is used?? Just trying to understand how the fresh water system works on the boat, and if we can eliminate that builtin tank altogether with a shutoff value? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

There is a pressure regulator for shore water that may limit your pressure.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
joshhunsberger

Post by joshhunsberger »

Yes we have one of those builtin to the connection on the side of the boat. It’s possible that went bad but it was replaced a couple years ago, so I’m not sure that’s 100% the issue.?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The tank should have nothing to do with the dock water pressure. The water pump acts like a check valve so the dock water does not go to the tank. or at least it should. Is the pump working normally?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
joshhunsberger

Post by joshhunsberger »

Yes, when we turn the pump on at the panel, It runs and pulls water from the holding tank….
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounsa like reglator or line maybe pluged
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels