Which Trojan model is this?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kbachand

Which Trojan model is this?

Post by kbachand »

Hello everyone! I have just purchased a 26ft Trojan boat that’s setup for sport fishing. The owner says it’s a 1979 but I can’t find which specific model this is. It has a single 6bt Cummins with a velvet drive and 18x24 Michigan wheel prop and the cabin has a shower and water heater and sinks. No head. The model
Number reads TRJB 07280679
Any ideas which model this is? Beam seems to be around 10 1/2 ft. Image

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I purchased to take out on a larger lake near by as well as going out on the ocean to some reefs and the Gulf Stream off NC and SC coast.
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Re: Which Trojan model is this?

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Look for this tag. It is about the size of a credit card.
It will be by the AC/ DC electrical panel. It will have the Hull number on it as three numbers followed by four numbers.

Take a picture of the TRJ number which is stamped into the starboard stern.

Is the engine hatch flush with the deck or raised up a few feet?

Post here but also text us a 609 713 4602
Or E mail Bob@Beaconmarinesupply.com
Attachments
3AAC35F3-1440-48B2-85F4-2836C2D4A61D.jpeg
3AAC35F3-1440-48B2-85F4-2836C2D4A61D.jpeg (119.84 KiB) Viewed 9703 times
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

To me it looks like a F26 hull with a custom top side . Any inside photos ? It most likely had a head that was removed , in fact I would bet on it . If you find the numbers Bob ask about He should be able to ID it . Also look at the number you posted (TRJB 07280679) on the right side on the transom there should be 3 more digits , the would ID the model . I think I saw that boat listed in a ad I liked it .

That boat did not come with a Cummins 6BT. First year of the 6B was 1984 . Great engine , My boat has been repowered 2 6BTA's .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

John L. (a former Trojan engineer ) Agrees on it being a Trojan Hull (F26 ?) and a Custom refit top sides . Get the numbers as posted above and we can find out more info . A of course more pictures would be great .

Looks like great boat .

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
kbachand

Post by kbachand »

Thank you so much for the responses! I’m picking up the boat in two weeks and will get pictures of the plate and post it. Below are some more photos of it.

As for the raised engine compartment it is raised a little now but the previous owner redid it so not sure if it’s supposed to be raised a tiny bit or if that’s just the way he designed the engine compartment cover.

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I'm wondering if it might be a prototype for a model they decided not to go with, because the window frames / windows and navigation light appear to be Trojan OEM. If it was a custom build / rebuild, it would surprise me if they could build it for original Trojan window frame to fit so well.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:31 pm I'm wondering if it might be a prototype for a model they decided not to go with, because the window frames / windows and navigation light appear to be Trojan OEM. If it was a custom build / rebuild, it would surprise me if they could build it for original Trojan window frame to fit so well.

May have reused due to costs ? It would taken a major rework just to fit that engine . and that engine was not around then . Also do you thing Trojan would build/design a cabin boat with no head ?

Sure is a cool boat , like to know how it runs , bet its super on fuel .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
delusional

Post by delusional »

It appears the cabin was gutted of OEM furnishings, sink, fridge, dinette and head. I wonder how that weight lost in the cabin and the weight gain of moving the hardtop and station forward, looks about three feet or so, effects the handling of the boat in a follow sea? Has this change improved or worsened the familiar characteristic of the F26 to take a nose dive in the right conditions ? I see where the new owner wants to take it off shore at times. I don't think I want to take mine out of the upper Chesapeake. Just thinkin.
kbachand

Post by kbachand »

delusional wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:30 am It appears the cabin was gutted of OEM furnishings, sink, fridge, dinette and head. I wonder how that weight lost in the cabin and the weight gain of moving the hardtop and station forward, looks about three feet or so, effects the handling of the boat in a follow sea? Has this change improved or worsened the familiar characteristic of the F26 to take a nose dive in the right conditions ? I see where the new owner wants to take it off shore at times. I don't think I want to take mine out of the upper Chesapeake. Just thinkin.
I too am wondering about this. The one thing I do know is the guy that had it prior to the guy I purchased it from took it off the coast of Morehead City quite often. So I'm thinking it may be the reason it was all changed to accommodate taking it offshore. At least I'm hoping it'll handle alright as I'm planning to take it off of NC/SC coast.
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

She is a F-26 which has been modified.

We have her original invoice if you would like it please give us a call. There is a small charge for it.

Bob Cushman
Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Attachments
42BC08D7-9F9A-4B18-BE72-ABCF52B601DE.jpeg
42BC08D7-9F9A-4B18-BE72-ABCF52B601DE.jpeg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 9579 times
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
(609)713-4602
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Here is a picture of what she looked like originally.
Attachments
26A3AAF8-FBBB-49CB-8F61-0DBB38BE5181.jpeg
26A3AAF8-FBBB-49CB-8F61-0DBB38BE5181.jpeg (158.52 KiB) Viewed 9579 times
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
(609)713-4602
kbachand

Post by kbachand »

BeaconMarineBob wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 pm She is a F-26 which has been modified.

We have her original invoice if you would like it please give us a call. There is a small charge for it.

Bob Cushman
Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Thanks for finding this! I don't need the original invoice at this time but will ask my dad if he wants it (we purchased it together). Crazy you were able to find it! Do you happen to know if these modifications were done at the factory or were they done later on? (assuming later on since the cummins was added later on for sure due to it not being an option in 1979).

From my research people state that the F26 doesn't handle too well offshore especially in a following sea condition. I'm wondering if these modifications were done to help it offshore. Seems there's a lot more rear deck space for fishing and maybe the weight shifts and different cabin options will help some.

The seller is currently fixing the bow deck said it will be done for me in a few weeks so I'll definitely report back with how it handles and how the cummins does in it. All I know is the previous owner from the guy I'm purchasing it from has had it off Morehead City in NC off the coast quite a bit and it handled really well from what the guy I purchased it from has told me. He also stated it does well offshore and obviously has been setup for running offshore. I'm wondering if the much heavier cummins motor where it is also helps with keeping the bow up which could contribute to it being better offshore.

Thanks again for digging into this! I may still call for that invoice!
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The Trojan F26 only has 5 degrees of deadrise. Boats designed to go offshore typically have between 18 degrees and 24 degrees of deadrise. It doesn't mean you can't take it offshore, but be careful and pick your days. It's not designed for big waves.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
kbachand

Post by kbachand »

The Dog House wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 am The Trojan F26 only has 5 degrees of deadrise. Boats designed to go offshore typically have between 18 degrees and 24 degrees of deadrise. It doesn't mean you can't take it offshore, but be careful and pick your days. It's not designed for big waves.
Thanks for that information. I’ll definitely not want to go out if it’s above 4-5ft anyways which could be the max it may handle and luckily most summer days it’s smaller for the most part. I guess the best part is I’ll get to enjoy less roll while we fish but getting to/from the spots may be a little rough depending.

I truly wanted a boat with a diesel as I have more experience working on them and the fact that it already has some electronics is helpful and seems to be setup for sport fishing so we’ll see. I’ll definitely report back with how it does. Just want to be safe with it of course and not push it too much. I know some Carolina style bulls have a ton of Deadrise up front but lessen towards the transom so maybe it won’t be too bad.