Backfiring above 2500 rpms

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BradZ
Sporadic User

Backfiring above 2500 rpms

Post by BradZ »

Ok I need help.. My Port engine starts backfiring thru the carb at about 2500 - 2600 rpms. It ran fine the day before so I'm stumped.
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Backfiring above 2500 rpms

Post by P-Dogg »

Assuming you didnt skip a link on the timing chain, backfiring means too lean. How are your fuel filters? Filter could clog suddenly and pass enough fuel to run at low speeds, but not at higher speeds.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

That's the first thing I'm going to replace this weekend P-Dogg. I have a 1976 Trojan F-32 with Chrysler 360s. Does anyone know what filter is needed for the water separator/filter? And I have a metal canister fuel filter inline before the carburetor. Besides the anti siphon valve on the fuel tank are there any other filters or areas of restriction to look at? I would like to buy the filters before I get to the boat this weekend.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

On my crusader 270s, there is a filter in the carb.

With 2 filters ahead of it, i dont know how it ever gets crap in it, but it does.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

I've been digging here and on the internet to find the filters. I don't have that info and want to buy them before I get to the boat Friday evening
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

With boats our age , its best to see what you have . You may have on engine and pre engine filter . Good chance they maybe different then oem . You did not say what engines . Chryslers used inline on engine filter that beacon may have .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

My bad Chrysler 360s. Yes filter separator and inline before the carb. Will look for more info this weekend.