36ft Trogan tricabin new owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lee oakley

36ft Trogan tricabin new owner

Post by Lee oakley »

Okay well I just bought a 77 Trogan tricabin so will take all advice I can get LoL it has sat for two years and I need some advice on where to start fuel tanks are unhooked is dry docked so wanna know what I should be checking like repacking the shafts change oil and filter fluid in v drives thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 36ft Trogan tricabin new owner

Post by prowlersfish »

Fresh fuel is always a good start . How are the batteries ? Engines turn over ? Was a survey done ? With out seeing the boat its hard to say where to start .

I forgot congrats and welcome to Trojan boats
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Great choice of boat. Welcome.

Need pics. And details. Location?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Lee oakley

Post by Lee oakley »

Well I bought it off a eBay auction LoL it's in Delaware I am in s.c. so took a chance drove up after buying it and took my battery charger with me has four batteries all are fine charged and cranked engines both acted fine the overall condition of it is great has sat for two years and I need a idea of where to start with LoL it's getting hauled to a Marina end of the month and I want to check it out good before I put it in I know the fuel tanks are unhooked but other than that and changing the oil don't know what else to check out
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

So you didnt see it in person before you bought it?
Lee oakley

Post by Lee oakley »

LoL no it was on a eBay auction had pic's only and it stated engines run and function so had that to fall back on if they didn't
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

Good luck.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Lee oakley wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:15 pm Okay well I just bought a 77 Trogan tricabin so will take all advice I can get LoL it has sat for two years and I need some advice on where to start fuel tanks are unhooked is dry docked so wanna know what I should be checking like repacking the shafts change oil and filter fluid in v drives thanks
prowlersfish wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:28 pm Fresh fuel is always a good start . How are the batteries ? Engines turn over ? Was a survey done ? With out seeing the boat its hard to say where to start .

I forgot congrats and welcome to Trojan boats

You also sent me a pm and I responded , but you have not opened it so I will post it

Fuel tanks and old fuel would be a big thing on my worry list . Check all the bilge pumps .Check/replace engine water pump impellers . Going to run it home ? working sounder and VHF . Seatow / Towboat us unlimited member ship . ( not being funny ) . Insurance
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Lee oakley

Post by Lee oakley »

Sorry just seen this LoL not used to this site doesn't show a response at top okay am having it trailerd to a Marina next week gonna dry dock until I get up there and go over everything tanks are unhooked right now so old fuel not a problem hasn't been ran in two years so are the impellers really necessary to replace? What about the packings on the shafts have been dry for two years? Going to change the oil what about v drives just check fluid or should it be changed? My goal is to get it ready and cruise from Delaware to Myrtle Beach SC
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

At least inspect them . (impellers ) . Problem is they tend to take a "set " . And how good do you think they were before the boat was laid up ? Packing may have dried up and may leak or not depending on condition
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Lee,

If you are cruising from Delaware to Myrtle........ that is an extended cruise and I'm going to assume you're going down the ICW beginning at Norfolk.

As you're in Delaware, will you be taking the canal across to Northern Chesapeake Bay? Then you will still have the whole of Chesapeake Bay to contend with and it may be something to think twice about in a "new to you" Tricabin that has been out of the water for a while.

I owned a 1974 tricabin for sixteen years and loved it, but I would never have tried the adventure you are considering in a untried boat. I would for sure do a lot of careful very extensive preparations that in this case would include a Marine Survey and also hiring a marine mechanic to go over every system thoroughly. This will unfortunately cost money.

Then I'd make up a detailed trip plan and that trip plan would include every possible mechanical service point along the way listed with phone numbers and points of contact.

It's just that when things go wrong at the wrong time it will get serious fast plus if you have crew along, they will be trusting both you and the boat to keep them safe. So lots to consider.

Welcome to Trojan Boats, Lee. They are indeed jewels and I hope you learn to love the one you just purchased.

All the very best.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Lee oakley

Post by Lee oakley »

Okay well I will check the impellers heck not a hard job the packings I am curious about not really hardto get at and really no way to check unless it's in LoL 😂 as far as the trip I was considering the intercoastal for the very reason you said incase of a major mechanical problem but I have also been told take the quick route down the Atlantic. Know I plan on taking some time to break everything in to double check all is working not gonna just put in and go that would be crazy. Honestly think the Atlantic would be a wiser way to go will have a GPS and radio and won't be very far from shore. Person I bought it from seems to be a straight up person after he bought it had it hauled to his house and started refurbishing her and just has alot going on in life so decided to sell it
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I think you would be better off running the intercostal . Is the boat in the upper Delaware bay ? if so I would run to the C&D canal and down the Chesapeake bay . That would give you a better idea if its ready to run off shore . Its a long distance between inlets of the MD and VA coasts and it cab get dicey out there .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Lee oakley

Post by Lee oakley »

Yes it's in Lewes Delaware like I said am going to take her out on a few runs before I start the trip to check it out and make sure all is operating right now my problem taking the route you suggest is the distance it would add over 100 miles distance so more wear on everything granted there is the chance on weather waves running the Atlantic and also the possibility of a mechanical problem but very little chance of both engines failing and will have a GPS and radio incase of a emergency
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

If you buy the beer, I'll donate my services as crew. Depends on a few things we can discuss later if you're interested. Based on the available info, I really recommend going via the Chesapeake. It might add 100 miles to the trip, but a Tricab is not exactly built to run to the canyons. Compare her lines, freeboard, and deadrise to a sportfisher. The Chesapeake miles will be easy compared to the ocean in an unproven boat. And it is completely possible for two rather dated engines to let you down at once.

A partial CV:

Ive done from Lewes, DE to Beaufort, NC by boat before,
most parts multiple times.
Ive owned a 1985 tricab for years.
I'm a mechanical engineer.

At least stop by and say hello when you go buy Middle River. Once you turn left out of the C&D, its about 2/3 of the way to Baltimore, on the right. And Prowlersfish is in greater Norfolk.