Buying Old trojan Houseboat

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

MagPie1972

Buying Old trojan Houseboat

Post by MagPie1972 »

My husband and I live in a popular coastal tourist area and want to buy and old houseboat (1970-1985) for $10-15K, completely gut interior and remodel with high end finishes, moor it at a marina that permits live-aboards, and rent it out year round on airbnb as lodging. Obviously it must have a working engine but we do not intend to really ride it around much at all hardly. I have read 1970 Trojans have leak problems. And that if you require engine work you have to tear up the salon floor board. Is this true? If you are going to be mooring your boat 95% of the time, how important are issues like hull stability, engines, gas tanks, etc. (And I do realize we will have to do a haul out every year or so and have accounted for that cost, as well as insurance) Obviously we would put in new dual pump system, new AC/heat, etc. I am looking at a 1970 Trojan houseboat that has been kept on a lake for years. We also plan to have a surveyer check out boat before we buy. Like I said, it would be rented out to vacationers probably 2-3 nights at a time usually as a "floating hotel" kind of - our goal being 150 night a year. We are also looking at Gibsons and a Holiday Mansion but I really like the idea of small 34' that sleeps 2 plus a kid maybe, as opposed to going over 40'.

I would love to get thoughts/advise from you experts who are familiar with Trojans. We have done a ton of research and really tried to account for everything we can, but the technical side of boating is where we are newbees. Of course, we dont really care about riding it around much. Maybe put around here and there in our town occasionally but that's it. Is this a crazy idea?? Thank you for any info
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Buying Old trojan Houseboat

Post by prowlersfish »

I don't think you will find much difference in brands of house boats . A survey would be in in order .But before I would do that I would check on a few things . Places you would keep the boat . While you will be able to find a marina that permits live-aboards , finding one that would allow you to rent it out will be another story . Also Insurance will be a issue being that's its a rental . Even city codes . We had some here that wanted to open bed and breakfast on a large house boat .They had a lot of legal issues not sure if they ever got it done .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Hello,

Yeah that airbnb is a big thing and everyone coming up with ideas. I think in NY you can sleep in an old converted taxi.

Here is something else to think about consider and ponder. What about Coast Guard issues? Its a vessel that floats and has motors. You take money from passengers to stay on the vessel. Guests would not necessarily know how to handle issues with the boat. I think you would need to have a Captain's license and obviously the Captain would need to be present.

An issue to look into. I do not know the answer. They probably doing something like this in Seattle.

Also, marina issues. The Marinas I have moored at in the past would not allow this sort of a thing, but I'm talking about Illinois and Wisconsin marinas which are run by morons.

Capt. Dave
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

My marina has a 34 Trojan houseboat for sale www.jsmarinejim.com
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
Christine1!

Post by Christine1! »

Just got this one givin to me last week she needs some love but it's a cozy Lil boat
After a day of power spraying
After a day of power spraying
IMG_20190730_131250.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 16163 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Survey maybe a good idea btw Congrats
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Christine1!

Post by Christine1! »

She needs some work but overall a good sound vessel small block Chevy is siezed and the air conditioning unit is bad, but so far all else seems to be in gd working order I did however thanks to this website found the only drain plug (which the original owner hadn't a clue exsisted) in the nose of the boat😎
Attachments
She's a diamond in the rough
She's a diamond in the rough
IMG_20190728_080637.jpg (39.39 KiB) Viewed 16136 times
IMG_20190730_131328.jpg
IMG_20190730_131328.jpg (31.26 KiB) Viewed 16136 times
IMG_20190730_131317.jpg
IMG_20190730_131317.jpg (72.05 KiB) Viewed 16136 times
IMG_20190730_131348.jpg
IMG_20190730_131348.jpg (51.95 KiB) Viewed 16136 times
IMG_20190729_122356.jpg
IMG_20190729_122356.jpg (78.87 KiB) Viewed 16136 times
IMG_20190727_163908.jpg
IMG_20190727_163908.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 16136 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

What are your plans for her ? Looks like a repower is in order . Looks like its cleaning up pretty good
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Go over the sterndrive with a fine toothed comb, repairs on those can get costly. Looks like a older Merc Alpha MR. You want to make sure all is in order there before she is launched or you could be paying for a haul out soon after.

Congrats and good luck with her.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Christine1!

Post by Christine1! »

Well my plans are to go thru it and restore it slowly about to pull the small block Chevy out of her this weekend I have a skid steer so pulling the motor should be easy I also got with this a 40ft kyot poontoon houseboat that's been leveled to the deck...just a big barge so I've two projects Ill only keep one but which one is yet to be seen😎
fina

Post by fina »

i just bought the same boat. would you be open to sharing pics of what you did to it? my email is eagle14214@gmail.com
apremiercc

Post by apremiercc »

Would like to get this post active again. I have a 1970 Trojan 34' houseboat. Rigged with 2 chrysler 318's, velvet trans and Vdrives. I was considering restoring original running gear but have decided to back away from that. Option A is a Merc big block with Bravo 3 drive. I already own everything but long block for a Bravo setup. I feel I need little re-enforcement to transum as force will be on original motor beams. Option B is have a bracket made and mount a Yamaha 350hp V8. Most expensive choice but I like the positives that come with this setup. Interested in opinions, pictures, etc. Once I get boat on a trailer I will make my choice and go with it. At this point I have lots of the old driveline parts laying around shop, they need to go. Will get some pics soon and post a ad. I'm in Central Florida and plan is to cruise intercostals to Key West up and down both coast.
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Good luck with the project, you should have started a new thread. Either way you go the transom will need major work.

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater