Wide Open Throttle

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Wide Open Throttle

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I just replaced my Carter AFB's with new Edelbrock 1409's Before my WOT was about 3,000 on my Chrysler 360's now it is about 3700. Is this typical or can I get more with some adjustments? Don't need more but just wondering.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Wide Open Throttle

Post by prowlersfish »

You really should be getting 4000. make sure the carbs are fully opening , Are you running the stock size props ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I am running stock props. I will check throttle travel. I am still working on the adjustments. Seems like I get the lower helm correct then the flybridge controls won't pull back to idle. I have the cables adjusted as short as they will go so I can get to idle but that may be robbing me of full open. Any advice on how to adjust the cables. I have the morse cables with the adjustable ends with the locking nut.

Should I adjust the lower helm first without the upper disconnected and then attach the upper and set that so it operates the same as the lower? It is very confusing. My old carbs had perfect balanced travel and there was some adjustability left but the old carbs had many issues.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

When you put the new carbs, did you make sure the cable was meeting the carb throttle arm at a good angle. I found when I did the same as you there was some altering of the bracket on the manifold required to get the right travel.It was quite a while ago and don't remember the details, only remember taking some time to fit them properly. Mike
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

If you get different results depending on upper or lower station, you likely have a cable or throttle lever issue.

I believe you should be able to hit 4200 RPM with the 360s (same engines as in my '79 - but don't recommend you run at that RPM for long!). Check cables as has already been said, and any 'stops' for the throttle levers at each helm.

If cables and throttle levers are free and you still can't get the RPMs up, look at timing and the advance on the distributor. Had a problem a few years back when I couldn't advance the RPMs... distributor advance mechanism was not working properly.