Cappy's f32 rehab

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Cappy's f32 rehab

Post by prowlersfish »

Additives that remove water don't do much best to pump the water out of the bottom of the tank . Also look at the check valves at the tank fitting . As far as the gauges go it sounds like the senders and the gauges are not compatible .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

If you don't have a gas/water separator in your fuel system, adding one would be a good idea. We use Racor's 320 series filters with an aluminum bowl that you can periodically check to see if water has been captured.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

prowlersfish wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:44 am Additives that remove water don't do much best to pump the water out of the bottom of the tank . Also look at the check valves at the tank fitting . As far as the gauges go it sounds like the senders and the gauges are not compatible .
Bought me one of these to remove water from the tank. Pumped about 8 gallons out of my tank. These come in two versions, IIRC. Get the higher flowrate.

Popped the level sender off. Inserted straight tube to low corner of tank. At the other end:

Place 5 gal bucket in engine room.
Disconnect blower hose, the gozinta end.
Place blower hose in bucket.
Place translucent 1 gal jug in bucket.
Blower on.
Gas pump on.
Pump "fuel" into 1 gal jug.
Observe liquid level in jug so as to not overfill.
Cap jug, set on deck.
Repeat until youre pumping gas into the 1 gal jug. (It will become obvious when the changeover occurs).

Any spills stay in the bucket.
Gasoline vapors are heavier than air. Thus, all fumes are contained in and evacuated from bucket.

I do not recommend doing this when youre neighbors are around. It will certainly smell like gas outside the boat, and may excite your neighbors. Done carefully, inside it should not smell at all.

https://www.amazon.com/GasTapper-Gasoli ... way&sr=8-4
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

WayWeGo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:59 pm If you don't have a gas/water separator in your fuel system, adding one would be a good idea. We use Racor's 320 series filters with an aluminum bowl that you can periodically check to see if water has been captured.
Have you found a gasoline-rated vacuum gauge to accompany them? They have them for diesel. Otherwise, how can you determine filter performance?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

P-Dogg wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:29 pm
WayWeGo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:59 pm If you don't have a gas/water separator in your fuel system, adding one would be a good idea.
Have you found a gasoline-rated vacuum gauge to accompany them? They have them for diesel. Otherwise, how can you determine filter performance?
I haven't personally looked, but have heard from others they are not available. I did find this one that might be promising: https://www.grainger.com/product/KODIAK ... ith-45MU14
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's