Crusader 454 xli fuel issue?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jchoate45

Crusader 454 xli fuel issue?

Post by Jchoate45 »

Hey I’m having an issue I’m hoping someone can help me troubleshoot
96 Trojan 390 express
2 crusader 454 /350hp XLI

When the boat is cool my port motor works fine. Once I get to around 160 or so the motor runs erratically. Specifically the rpms drop to around 2k from 3k and fluctuates up and down as if it’s fuel pump is going not regulating pressure

It will run fine at idle just when I try to give it more fuel and then she sputters. I have been putting the same gas as the starboard side and it has no issues. However the starboard motor had its fuel pump changed already.

I’m thinking fuel pump, filters, sensor?

Finally who do you like to order crusader parts from? Go2marine? Others?

Tks Jim
Jchoate45

Re: Crusader 454 xli fuel issue?

Post by Jchoate45 »

Does this motor have an OBD port?
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Jchoate45 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm who do you like to order crusader parts from? Go2marine? Others?
https://www.marinepartssource.com/?gcli ... YkEALw_wcB
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Can you switch fuel sources in the engine room? Would rule out anti-siphon valve and maybe (some, not necessariliy all) filter issues.

I had erratic rpm issues and it was due to tired distributor springs. Are you sure it is related to temperature? That said, i have seen ignition coils and resistors malfunction as a function of temperature - an easy swap to see if the problem follows the parts.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Could be a number of things but try the easy stuff first. I believe you have TB injection which should have two fuel filters, and while most folks change the spin-on filter regularly, they seldom replace the in-line one by the throttle body. It's an easy place to start before getting into something more complicated.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

If it's like my 97 xli 454's you have 3 fuel filters. First in line is a 24 micron oberg screen which looks like a black round "ufo" this filter can be cleaned and reused . The 2nd is a water seperator 10 micron and the 3rd is located at the throttle body is a cannister inline filter. My suggestion is to open the oberg and clean this 1st since it is reusable. it doesn't take much at all to cause this to be clogged. Then run the boat and if still doing same change the other 2.
This what the outside of the oberg looks like see below link. Loosen the bolt have a pan to catch gas then loosen completely and remove screen. Reassemble after cleaning make sure to seat filter screen in its grooves

https://www.jegs.com/i/ZMAX/706/4028U/1 ... 1iEALw_wcB
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Jchoate45

Post by Jchoate45 »

I think the oberg screen was it. Well know soon
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Oberg filters are not the best when there is a good chance of contamination, especially in a fuel system. If there is no bypass the filter does not have much capacity and quickly restricts flow, and if there is a bypass contaminants will get by it when clogged.

I have used Oberg filters on a race car, where if the oil filter clogs the bypass opens and a warning light goes on. At that point, the clogged filter is not significant as something has let go in the engine and a full rebuild is in order. Being able to easily view the filter contents is nice when you are checking it very often.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's