New Flybridge Controls

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

New Flybridge Controls

Post by WayWeGo »

We recently installed new controls on our flybridge, along with new cables to the lower helm. The old shifters had over 5" of play in neutral and the throttles were quite stiff. In the photo below, the shifters are both in neutral!
Controls - Neutral.jpg
Controls - Neutral.jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 5767 times

A while back, I bought new Teleflex Twin S controls on a really good sale, but they had been sitting around collecting dust. I finally had the time to figure out what length cables I had and purchase new cables. After some research, I decided to buy Glendinning 3300 cables which are available directly from the manufacturer. The main reason I decided on these cables is that a number of commercial installers favored them over the Teleflex cables that are more commonly used. More on this later in the post.

Since the new cables were different lengths, I used a label maker to mark them by function at each end.

One of the worries I had about this job was how tight the "raceway" between the flybridge and salon. Previous projects have run into difficulties getting wiring through the tight and tortuous pathway between the two helms. To help run the new cables through this restriction, I bought some 10-32 coupler nuts from McMaster-Carr. This let me screw the new cables to the ends of the old ones on the flybridge before pulling them down to the salon. I'm not sure where I read about doing it this way, but it worked great! In the photo below, you can see just how many wires and cables go through the very tight holes in the floor of the flybridge!
Cables - Birdnest.jpg
Cables - Birdnest.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 5767 times
After pulling the cables into the salon, we then pulled them from the salon to the lower helm while they were still attached to the old cables. Once the cables were in the right locations, I attached them to the controls at each location. The end result looks much better, with the correct color balls on the shifters and nice tight control action.

As for the Glendinning cables, they seem very robust though I suspect the Teleflex Xtreme cables might be a touch smoother, but without having both cables in the same installation, its hard to tell. In any case, I am quite pleased with the overall improvement, especially when using the shifters to dock.
Controls - Finished.jpg
Controls - Finished.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 5767 times
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New Flybridge Controls

Post by prowlersfish »

Nice Job !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Like most boat repairs/maintenance/upgrades that really matter, this is one that makes the boat safer, and one that no guest will notice......

Good trick with the coupling nuts. Similar trick when adding a new wire inside an existing "occupied" conduit: tie two wires to an existing one. Use existing wire to pull two new wires through conduit.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Curiosity cost for both sides. I have a problem with starboard upper helm wanting to catch mainly when toggling from forward to reverse. Had looked up on trying to force oil down the cable. A couple of posts on the sight talk about it. Have not tried it yet. However if cost is reasonable probably worth the effort. After all the LADY was born in 1975.
F32 Fly 1975
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Four cables were about $50 each shipped, and the lengths ranged from 24' to 28'.

The controls were about $200 each on a good sale.

Considering the amount of improvement, that was one of the better changes we have made. A few years ago, I ran into a piling while docking due to operator error, which I partially attribute to being distracted by the sloppy controls.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Thanks. Did you consider the forcing of oil down the cable to clean them out.
F32 Fly 1975
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Yes, I actually have the parts to force oil down the cables but most people I know who have done that only get a minor reprieve and end up replacing the cables. I wanted a more permanent solution.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Good to know. Thanks.

Have not had any issues with throttles. Have you.
F32 Fly 1975
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Yes, my throttles were also loose and one of the cables was the worst of the four going to the lower helm.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's