WOT

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: WOT

Post by captainmaniac »

WayWeGo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:20 am I think captainmainiac meant to say small block (318/340/360) and big block (383/400/440) engines...
As I said - not an expert... I don't build the darn things, just use them!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Away wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:38 am And I am loaded with carbon due to excessive cruising at 1500. Looking at using Sea Foam in another post.

Sea Foam Any experience with this product for heavey carbon removal. Either added to the fuel supply or added to the crank case. Good, bad or better alternatives.
Why do you think you have a heavy carbon build up ? While I am not a member of the sea foam "club" it can't hurt . Nor can a long run at 3000 in fact it should do you some good .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Something we use to do was dribble water down the throat of the carb to steam out carbon with the engine at 2000 rpm. Dont let the engine stall out.
You could also try some combustion chamber cleaner and follow the instructions.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Away wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:38 am And I am loaded with carbon due to excessive cruising at 1500.
How do you know?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Away, do your spark plugs look black and furry and the carbs run rich ( real smelly exhaust)?
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Yes, Yes and Yes. We actually blew out a ton of carbon. Floating all over the place at start up. Marina mechanic was there, he confirmed. Next day could not get engine to fire up. Checked for fuel, checked compression, cleaned up the distributor cap. ok pulled a plug YUK dry black fuzzy. Others wet. Replaced them all fired right up. wanted to try SEA FOAM and a good half our run at 3000 rpm before sending carbonators in for an overhaul next spring.
F32 Fly 1975
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Away wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:48 pm Yes, Yes and Yes. We actually blew out a ton of carbon. Floating all over the place at start up. Marina mechanic was there, he confirmed. Next day could not get engine to fire up. Checked for fuel, checked compression, cleaned up the distributor cap. ok pulled a plug YUK dry black fuzzy. Others wet. Replaced them all fired right up. wanted to try SEA FOAM and a good half our run at 3000 rpm before sending carbonators in for an overhaul next spring.
Sounds very much like the carbs need attention, that will give you a black powdery looking residue in the exhaust water. Maybe the choke plates are stuck shut. If they are the original carter afb style carbs, I wouldn't waste too much effort on them. Good carb rebuilders up here are pricey and I don't mean just someone putting a kit in them.

You going to Florida this winter ?
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Yes.

Not a mechanic how would I know if these are. If they are the original carter afb style carbs. If the answer is yes, are you indicating a different solution.
F32 Fly 1975
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

The AFB carbs can develop air leaks at the butterfly shafts when old and that is expensive to fix. It's easier to buy Edelbrock 1409 carbs and install them.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's