Bomb Cyclone

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Bomb Cyclone

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi All,

One of my best friends and his wife are on their way south, cruising to their eventual destination in the Bahamas from Kingston Ontario. They got a late start due to a long list of personal preparations and the usual final boat fit up. Last Thursday, they were just north of New York City on the the Hudson River, moored for the night in Half Moon Marina when that Bomb Cyclone storm hit them hard.

Their 48 foot Mainship was rocking gunnel to gunnel and they snapped two lines. Fellow boaters came to their rescue and to the rescue of surrounding boats and they managed to make it through the storm shaken but undamaged. The slept in the Marina's sauna while the storm howled around them.

Anyone else here experience or be affected by the same storm?

They were planning to cruise on the outside all the way to Cape May. i suggested going in around Pleasant Point. What's everybody's thoughts?

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Bomb Cyclone

Post by prowlersfish »

My info maybe dated , but I have heard the inter-coastal in NJ is not in that great of shape with a lot of shallows . But it may have changed . I would check with waterway guide .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

prowlersfish wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:09 pm My info maybe dated , but I have heard the inter-coastal in NJ is not in that great of shape with a lot of shallows . But it may have changed . I would check with waterway guide .
^^^ this. And thehulltruth for current local knowledge.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi

Just got word that my friends left Sandy Hook early this morning for Cape May.

They ran into bad weather and made the correct decision to bail. They made it safely inside via Barnegat Inlet which they said presented no problems on their approach. I had noticed some negative posts elsewhere on the safety of a first timer's approach through Barnegat. But they felt they had no choice but to try it and ended up safely inside at High Bar Harbor Yacht Club as the weather continued to deteriorate. They may be stuck there for a couple of days.

Plus you were absolutely right "Prowler", the locals at the marina informed Gary that his 47 Mainship would not have enough water under her hull to stay inside. So as soon as the weather improves they'll head for Cape May via the Atlantic.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Not a bad run to Cape May , with good weather of course . Are they going to run off the MD/VA Coast or go up the Delaware bay to the C&D Canal and down the Chesapeake bay ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

I think their plan was always to head up Delaware Bay to the C&D Canal. Then run down Chesapeake Bay to Norfolk. Long old haul but probably the way to do it. On the other side of the equation, Gary is somewhat unpredictable and could conceivably try to straight-line it for Norfolk on the outside.