Gas Vapor Detection...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lucky7

Gas Vapor Detection...

Post by Lucky7 »

Hello Everyone.

Looking for advice on this Scentry Gas Vapor Detector. I

I have a 1989 10.8M International. I believe this is original equipment. At times I can turn it "on" and everything seems normal. At other times it will "buzz" and provide a warning that Gas Vapors are High. I am doubting the alarm as it is 30 years old. Should I replace it with a new alarm? Is it possible to just update the sensor and re calibrate it?

Sorry the picture is sideways. Can't seem to fix that.

Thanks,
Ron
Attachments
IMG_0635.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 9068 times
1989 Trojan 10.8M International
Twin 454 Crusaders
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Gas Vapor Detection...

Post by prowlersfish »

When it goes off did you open the hatches and do a sniff test ? Its also likely the sensors have exceed their life exaptation .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

I have a similar alarm and it seems to need to warm up after turning it on. It alarms for a minute or so and them works normally. I don't know if that is normal or a sign of old age.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

friends of mine bought a new 36' sea ray in 1986, with the same equipment

it gave false positives when new.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I doubt the sensors work. Lifespan is a question for the mfgr., but i see no reason to not replace them outright. Consider the cost of not replacing them, and to have them be needed......
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Lucky7

Post by Lucky7 »

prowlersfish wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:00 pm When it goes off did you open the hatches and do a sniff test ? Its also likely the sensors have exceed their life exaptation .
Thanks. Yes I did a sniff test and everything seemed "normal".
Twin 454 Crusaders
Lucky7

Post by Lucky7 »

P-Dogg wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:13 pm I doubt the sensors work. Lifespan is a question for the mfgr., but i see no reason to not replace them outright. Consider the cost of not replacing them, and to have them be needed......
Thanks. I will look at replacing the sensor. To be honest I expected everyone to say toss the whole thing and buy XXX. I will look for a replacement sensor and go from there.

Thank you!
Twin 454 Crusaders
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Unfortunately, I understand that Scentry was bought by Rule many years ago and the parts have not been available for at least a decade.

I am going to test mine and if it works correctly, I am fine with it. If not, a Fireboy-Xintex unit will be on order. If only it would fit in the same hole...
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Lucky7

Post by Lucky7 »

WayWeGo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 pm Unfortunately, I understand that Scentry was bought by Rule many years ago and the parts have not been available for at least a decade.

I am going to test mine and if it works correctly, I am fine with it. If not, a Fireboy-Xintex unit will be on order. If only it would fit in the same hole...
Please let me know how you go about testing it. I will do the same. Thanks for your feedback.
Twin 454 Crusaders
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

I am going to try and use a butane lighter as per the instructions from Fireboy to test it.

If that doesn't work, I guess I am going to very carefully use a paper towel with gasoline on it. I am thinking of putting the towel in a ziplock bag and opening it directly over the sensor while trying to keep all the fumes contained.

WARNING: I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE DOING WHAT I AM GOING TO DO AS THIS MAY BE DANGEROUS!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Follow the instructions from the maker, as the plastic bag is a bad idea. You may damage the sensor with too high a concentration and then need to replace it. I repaired gas testing equipment for years.

Actually there may be a test gas which is designed to test the functions properly, with no damage. I say may be, cause for this marine application I don't know, but the maker will.The equipment needs to alarm at certain concentrations of explosive gas, that is the only way to be safe. Good luck guys.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

In this case, the manufacturer has been out of business for over a decade.

A similar manufacturer's test procedure is to use unlit butane gas from a lighter, but I don't know if that will work with Scentry's product.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

WayWeGo wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 pm In this case, the manufacturer has been out of business for over a decade.

A similar manufacturer's test procedure is to use unlit butane gas from a lighter, but I don't know if that will work with Scentry's product.
Well, hate to be the bearer here , if that is the case then that equipment is of no use to anyone and could be a danger in the fact of it being a false sense of security. I have an idea you were already thinking this.
My advice is get rid of it and replace with new .
Lucky7

Post by Lucky7 »

WayWeGo wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 pm In this case, the manufacturer has been out of business for over a decade.

Just to close the loop here. I followed this test procedure and it worked perfectly. Great news. The "explosive" alarm went off after about 3 seconds. After removing the butane the alarm went to "danger" in about 2 seconds and finally "safe" a couple seconds after that.

Thanks for the help.

Ron
Twin 454 Crusaders
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Lucky7 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:42 pmJust to close the loop here. I followed this test procedure and it worked perfectly. Great news. The "explosive" alarm went off after about 3 seconds. After removing the butane the alarm went to "danger" in about 2 seconds and finally "safe" a couple seconds after that.
Thanks for letting me know!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's