Steering piston leaking

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

paskyhawk

Steering piston leaking

Post by paskyhawk »

The steering piston on my 1979 tri cabin is leaking at the piston rod. Does anyone know if this unit can be rebuilt or is there a replacement available.

Thanks Rich

Attachments
IMG_1503.jpg
IMG_1503.jpg (70.21 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Steering piston leaking

Post by prowlersfish »

I would contact Beacon marine , see what they have .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stupidav

Post by Stupidav »

While I am not 100% sure that yours can, everyone that I have come across, we have been able to rebuild. If Beacon Marine doesn’t have a means to do it, I would contact a local reputable hydraulics place to do it if you don’t want to tackle it on your own.

Ultimately they are pretty easy to rebuild. Once the unit has been removed, the end caps unscrew, and slide them off. Carefully remove the old seals and match them up at a supplier. You can also slide out the piston/rod assembly and replace the seals on that as well as long as you are there. If you go this route look over all the parts to make sure there is no scratches in the areas where the movement occurs, and you should be fine.
paskyhawk

Post by paskyhawk »

Thanks, I will pull it off in the spring. We have a good hydraulics place. I wasn't sure if it had some kind of crimped ends.
paskyhawk

Post by paskyhawk »

I removed the existing, leaking, Warner cylinder, although the Trojan mounting plate was substantial (3/8" thick steel angle) I was surprised to see the rear mounting on the cylinder ball was plastic, it was definitely the weakest link in the system. I opted for a new Seastar cylinder with the same bore and stroke. It is better built like an NFPA cylinder while the Warner seemed more like a throwaway. Unfortunately the new cylinder body length was 3 inches longer so I had to fabricate an adapter plate. The built-in bleeders on the ports are also nice. Ignore the water line, it will be moved later :wink: .

Old Warner, leaking both ends
Old Warner, leaking both ends
IMG_1006.jpg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
Attachments
New mounting plate
New mounting plate
IMG_3017.jpg (88.04 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
New Cylinder
New Cylinder
IMG_3015.jpg (83.52 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
paskyhawk