10.8 sedan and stuffing the bow

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

SlowPoke

10.8 sedan and stuffing the bow

Post by SlowPoke »

Hoping this is the year I can finally pull the trigger and join the ranks of happy boaters everywhere. While waiting for some health issues to clear up, I have had the time to read and read and read. I think/hope to buy my last boat first :) There isn't a lot of time left to screw around. The boat would be used for day trips in and around Cape Cod Bay and Buzzards Bay. Personally, I'm partial to the mid 80s Hatteras 36 sedan with the enlarged salon. My wife thinks it's sort of stodgy looking. I think it's a work of art. Fortunately. the 10.8 meter sedan has a similar layout and isn't as old fuddy duddy looking (her words). It's also significantly less expensive.

From all I've read, both boats are seaworthy, well built and intelligently engineered. I had read somewhere that boats with a negative shear---down sloping at the bow---had a tendency to stuff the bow when riding down a wave and should be avoided. I see more of this downward slope on the Trojan than the Hat yet I've never read or heard of it being an issue.

Can anyone enlighten me on this---and any thing else a prospective new owner should be aware of.
Many thanks,
George
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 10.8 sedan and stuffing the bow

Post by prowlersfish »

Never heard of anyone complain of a 10.8 meter stuffing the bow . Its a great boat . Pick the right or should I say the wrong day , you can stuff the bow on any boat . How do you plan on using the boat ? If its not every day off shore The 10.8 would be a good boat .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I've owned a 10 meter for 18 years

been out in lots of different conditions, including east coast Florida inlets and crossing Tampa Bay in a squall

never came close to stuffing the bow - EVER

but, I would never intentionally be out in conditions that bad

Much has been written about this hull design, and can be found here:

www.trojanboat.com

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
SlowPoke

Post by SlowPoke »

Thanks, guys. Figured since I hadn't turned up anything, it probably wasn't an issue. But, if anyone would know, it would be here on the forum.

Thanks again for the peace of mind