New to me Trojan 10 meter

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mowens

New to me Trojan 10 meter

Post by mowens »

Hi all new to the forum and the Trojan. I just purchased a 1986 10 meter. Seems to be in really great shape for it's age. I do have a few questions.

Does anyone know where to get the deck chairs that fit into the small holes over the engine compartments and or the bench that goes along the transom?
Does anyone have a picture or layout for the control panel in the kitchen? It is all there just faded and hard to read.
Is there a users manual available for the accessories?
Last question is how do you dump the sewer tank?

Thanks look forward to learning helping sharing.
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: New to me Trojan 10 meter

Post by RWS »

Based on the model year and your comment that the electrical panel is in the galley, it sounds like you have a MID CABIN model.

The modular deck furniture may be available from BEACON MARINE, otherwise you will have to find a donor boat or someone wanting to eliminate his existing arrangement.

BEACON MARINE would also be your go to source for the electrical panel plate & owners manual info.

I own an EXPRESS model, there was a factory macerator onboard to grind/pump the blackwater tank overboard. Additionally there is a deck fitting that can be used at a pump out station. Yours may be set up differently.

There are lots of differences between the EXPRESS and MID CABIN models, and lots of owners here to help you.

Congrats on your boat :)

RWS

P.S. if you have not yet discovered it, check out the TROJAN INTERNATIONAL WEBSITE shown below in my signature line.
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
mowens

Post by mowens »

Yes it is a Mid Cabin sorry should have clarified. Appreciate the info.
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Welcome to the forum
Here is some helpful info

10 Meter Mid Cabin Owners.
Check your vents.

On the 10 meter mid cabin International, no provision was made to divert rain water and wash down water from getting in the boat through the side vents and vent hoses.

Water can can get stuck inside the vent box which in time rots the plywood box that holds the engine room vent hoses. The hoses can then fall into the engine room, impairing the engine room natural venting.

We make a diverter which goes behind the vent and helps to divert rain water and wash down water back out the vent.

It is recommended that you remove the vents, port and starboard and check for damage.

These picture that will help you understand the problem.

First picture is from inside boat looking up to the vent.

The other picture are the mid cabin diverter box we make.

The diverter box let the water run out the vent and not into the boat or down the vent tubs.”

The diverter box is available at the Trojan Boat Store.

Trojanboat.Net
Attachments
1248F000-7928-4DA3-BEF4-D7ECEEA3D142.jpeg
1248F000-7928-4DA3-BEF4-D7ECEEA3D142.jpeg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
6FF813F8-A0FF-4583-80A5-41AA4067B96F.jpeg
6FF813F8-A0FF-4583-80A5-41AA4067B96F.jpeg (79.85 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
E6D456D7-C468-4BA0-8DEF-AA6A88242DA7.jpeg
E6D456D7-C468-4BA0-8DEF-AA6A88242DA7.jpeg (163.81 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
FCDCFADB-37E8-42AE-A81C-B893D850626C.jpeg
FCDCFADB-37E8-42AE-A81C-B893D850626C.jpeg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
37A57BFC-811A-402E-A0B8-128046930ED3.jpeg
37A57BFC-811A-402E-A0B8-128046930ED3.jpeg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
D11037C8-6C50-4E12-9098-3DE90038A0C7.jpeg
D11037C8-6C50-4E12-9098-3DE90038A0C7.jpeg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 7461 times
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
mowens

Post by mowens »

Hey guys thanks for all the advice.

I will inspect rhe vents tommorow. Need to rebuild the engine hatches as well

So just returned from our maiden voyage. Everything went pretty well.

Biggest thing was the port engine wouldn't go beyond 1500 rpm in gear. When out of gear it ran up just fine.

Other thing was starboard engine would tick or clack at low rpm like a lifter. And it would puff white grey smoke from the exhaust at high rpm. Not constant and just smallish puffs I almost didn't notice.

With the fact this boat sat a long time in the marina im thinking water in the fuel - tank was reading empty so put 35 gallon in each tank but seems only 1 is reading fuel level.

I am in the gulf of mexico boats in dog river if you know the area. Any suggestions for inspection for growth in this choc milk water.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Check the filters for water for sure . As far inspection for growth since it sat for a while a haul out is in order likely clean and paint and zincs . Growth can real hurt the performance and reduce rpm . Change the oil and see if the engine sounds better . A impeller change would also be a good idea .

A survey would not be a bad idea to see where you stand
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Changed my wooden engine room & lazarette hatches 2 years ago from factory wood to rot-poof fiberglass.

Survey would be appropriate to become knowledgeable of unseen possible future disasters

Get her out of the water and see whats going on with your running gear, change your zincs and take care of any necessary bottom issues

While she's out of the water DO THE SURVEY FOR SAFETY'S SAKE

Shaft zincs, tab zincs and DIVERS DREAM zincs.

A POORLY MAINTAINED BOAT CAN BE A LIFE THREATENING DANGER TO YOUR GUESTS

It is your responsibility to provide a safe place for anyone you invite onboard.

FIRE, EXPLOSION, SINKING AND CARBON MONOXIDE CAN CAUSE INJURIES AND DEATH.

Sorry to be so heavy handed, but these matters should be taken seriously.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

I bought a 1989 10 meter mid cabin last year and have
since done a lot of work and learned a lot
happy to share notes with you
I have an L-shaped seating unit you may be referring to and will probably
not be using it in the near future

rr
10 meter mid cabin
mowens

Post by mowens »

Survey is planned but since I private purchased and not from a dealer I am post covid on the list no clue when I can be seen atm. I did get a binder from the PO that he said had all the boat paperwork. It has everything the original invoice from trojan, manuals, repair receipts, etc.

Boat seems in phenominal shape half of whats wrong seems the be the PO who was the 2nd i'm the 3rd. He did some silly stuff but he was a young kid. When I went to look he went on and on about the sound system and the speakers. Apparently he had never even driven it. He had planned to liveaboard at the marina.

He also pulled the carpeting off the floors in the salon said it was to "old school" he wanted to redo with hardwood. This leaves me with a quandry as there are 3 hatches throughout and I am not sure how the original carpeting handled that. Any advice? I wouldn't think hardwood would be good if you need to get to the pumps under there. I just wanted to really know if the carpet was cut out around the hatches or just layed over and fastened somewhere I didnt see anything acting as a fastener. -- Nice part was able to open and see inside, just a little water in that forwaerd bilge, I flipped the float to make sure it was good while I was looking.

Under the cockpit in the salon area is the fresh water pump and very small bilge pump, and on the other side is the ER pump and the there is the aft in the way back. I looked at the manual and it doesn't mention this small 4th pump it looks factory installed is it something besides a "bilge" pump?

I plan to drive her out to some clearer water next week and at least dive down and look at the hull. Zincs I will order today.

------

I didn't get to check the fuel filters today - I talked to PO he said he changed impellers, starter on port side, and oil a while back. I found in the salon a sierra water seperator filter in plastic but nothing in the engine compartment looked the same. I looked but not very well I admit. I was more concerned with getting the boat secured better we have a bad storm coming up.

I checked the oil and that makes me ask 2 questions as it needs a change but considering my smoke puffs im glad to say it looks normal just in need of a change. On I/O you have to pump the oil out the dipstick are these the same or is there an oil drain plug? I looked in the manual but no real help. Secondly what is the correct oil filter? I ask because he used FRAM filters which might be ok or not im not sure.

Thinking about my puff of smoke I checked the coolant and it was a bit low. On some I/O I have had that cycles through the exhaust risers and I know bad gaskets and cracks can cause that. The real question is beside tearing it apart is there a way to really check?

------

I am sure I will find more issues its an old boat.

Thanks for everything all.
Last edited by mowens on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mowens

Post by mowens »

mrrudely wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:09 pm I bought a 1989 10 meter mid cabin last year and have
since done a lot of work and learned a lot
happy to share notes with you
I have an L-shaped seating unit you may be referring to and will probably
not be using it in the near future

rr
Thanks I am all ears. Anything special I need to lookout for aside from the usual boat stuff?

And send a pic of that bench please, if you do decide you want to unload it, let me know maybe we can make a deal.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

A good boat carpet guy/gal can put carpet in and on the hatches so you can open them . Owners here have done it . Yes cooling systems / manifold can have issues and cause smoke or steam . But it not normally "puffs" is more consent . as is most engine smoke issues . Start whit what you know is bad or needs to be done , oil change , fuel filters and the bottom . A dirty bottom puts a load on the engines and can cause all kinds of issues .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mowens

Post by mowens »

Thanks yea I am going to. Oil change, fuel filters, bottom clean, new zincs.

My wife took a video it is more lile steam and if you get closer it is constant at 1500+ rpm. It looks like puffs from the cockpit.
Screenshot_20200410-164508.png
Screenshot_20200410-164508.png (275.11 KiB) Viewed 7392 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Can't see a thing , sorry . you said the implellers where replaced , when ? Could peace's of the old one be stuck in the exchanger ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Had a similar issue with my 81 F-32. When cruising at 1800 rpm there would be little puffs of steam from one engine. chased this problem for 2 years. new impeller, circulation pump, exhaust manifolds cleaned and checked No change. No temp increase or any other problems. Ended up being the front seal on the water pump sucking air. Replaced the pump and everything is good now.
mowens

Post by mowens »

prowlersfish wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 am Can't see a thing , sorry . you said the implellers where replaced , when ? Could peace's of the old one be stuck in the exchanger ?
He said "just" but wasn't specific. They are not expensive i might just swap anyway. Possible old pieces in the exchanger can i back flush them into something?
kallen wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:57 am Had a similar issue with my 81 F-32. When cruising at 1800 rpm there would be little puffs of steam from one engine. chased this problem for 2 years. new impeller, circulation pump, exhaust manifolds cleaned and checked No change. No temp increase or any other problems. Ended up being the front seal on the water pump sucking air. Replaced the pump and everything is good now.
Could be. I suppose no way to really test that?

On the transom near the cutout are 2 water connections are these for a flush? I can't find reference to them in any manual.