New to me Trojan 10 meter

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mowens

Re: New to me Trojan 10 meter

Post by mowens »

Ok she's out of the water. Yard guys say the hull looks good. After a good cleaning, scraping, sanding, and painting she will be back to the water.

Checking seacocks and everything else today. New zincs otw. Luckily the metals are not damaged.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

mowens wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 pm The zincs are for sure gone. I replaced the heat exchanger ones the other day and they where completly gone. Since the boat comes out in the morning I wont worry about the fish but thanks for the idea.
If you haven't already, you might want to pull off the end caps on the heat exchangers to make sure the zincs didn't break off. They often remain in the heat exchanger and can partially clog it. Also a good place to look for pieces of impellers that previous owners failed to remove.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

When dealing with a boat that has been under maintained - PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Generally, when a boat goes up for sale, all maintenance and repair stops

Believe me, when I bought mine from the original owner - he owned her for 18 years - among a myriad of other things, all the seacocks were stuck open, the bilge pumps & float switches were wired in with household wire nuts and the bilges were filthy.

Took her to a friends house on Florida's east coast just to do what was necessary to take the trip to the Gulf, where she immediately went to a do it your self boat yard so I could spend 2 weeks of vacation time getting her seaworthy.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF HER BEING ON THE HARD AND GET EVERYTHING AT OR BELOW THE WATER LINE HANDLED NOW!!!!!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
mowens

Post by mowens »

WayWeGo wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:06 pm
mowens wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 pm The zincs are for sure gone. I replaced the heat exchanger ones the other day and they where completly gone. Since the boat comes out in the morning I wont worry about the fish but thanks for the idea.
If you haven't already, you might want to pull off the end caps on the heat exchangers to make sure the zincs didn't break off. They often remain in the heat exchanger and can partially clog it. Also a good place to look for pieces of impellers that previous owners failed to remove.
There are gaskets on the end as well yes? I assume I will need to replace them. Which is fine just need to order asap.

I thought the impeller bits got sruck at the oil cooler. Didnt know it was otger places.

I thought I would backflush and try and clear it out that way.
mowens

Post by mowens »

RWS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:03 am When dealing with a boat that has been under maintained - PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Generally, when a boat goes up for sale, all maintenance and repair stops

Believe me, when I bought mine from the original owner - he owned her for 18 years - among a myriad of other things, all the seacocks were stuck open, the bilge pumps & float switches were wired in with household wire nuts and the bilges were filthy.

Took her to a friends house on Florida's east coast just to do what was necessary to take the trip to the Gulf, where she immediately went to a do it your self boat yard so I could spend 2 weeks of vacation time getting her seaworthy.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF HER BEING ON THE HARD AND GET EVERYTHING AT OR BELOW THE WATER LINE HANDLED NOW!!!!!

RWS
I intend to. Went through seacocks yesterday and all seem good. Replaced 2/3 bilges alreadtly just aft left. Have a list of crap to do. Since I'm paying per day for it to be in the marina I am trying to get the important things that must be done on land done.

Biggest new kerfufle is the packing. I just can't get to it.
mowens

Post by mowens »

4 hours of scraping and the hull is clean.

Found just a nibble of zinc on one trim tab. Glad to find nothibg obviously wrong under the boat.

Tomorrow is sanding.
mowens

Post by mowens »

Ok 2 days of sanding and its half done.

I have this light can anyone tell me whats missing or what to replace it with.
20200419_120255(1)~2.jpg
20200419_120255(1)~2.jpg (24.28 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
Also here is the compartment in my mid cabin with the tiny bilge and the fresh water pump was. Where should that pump be?
20200420_103715(1).jpg
20200420_103715(1).jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
20200419_121559(1)~2.jpg
20200419_121559(1)~2.jpg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
mowens

Post by mowens »

Well 2 weeks of sanding almost and its done.

Painting tomorrow, and a new port cutless bearing, hope to launch Monday.

Found both engines had the same firing order. I'm hoping this is why the port moter wasn't running up in gear.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

mowens wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:42 pm

Found both engines had the same firing order. I'm hoping this is why the port moter wasn't running up in gear.

This makes perfect sense

Id bet you found the problem

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

mowens

Post by mowens »

Well that didn't fix it.

So I did the drop test.

2,3,5,8 all dead. Now i got spark on all 8 but when I pulled the plugs those where bone dry. Tried spraying carb cleaner in the carb and it only throttled up on one side. I'm thinking time to rebuild the carb.

Boats back in the water and ran at 2x the speed still not running right but getting 13kts when I had 7 before.

I fixed the steam issue as well. Was a missing cap for the flush system. I guess its a 1 way check valve so it sucks in air without the cap.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Perhaps the distributor is not installed correctly

as in

the rotor is not pointing in the correct spot at TDC compression #1 cylinder

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

mowens

Post by mowens »

Possible. I'm getting spark just seems no fuel. I will double check it.
mowens

Post by mowens »

Rebuilt carb. And redid the timing. And now all cylinders firing. I plan to take it out today and see if shes got thr get up and go.
mowens

Post by mowens »

Alright we are getting there.

Ran it today and topped out at 21mph and 3k rpms on port motor 2.5k on starboard.

I think i need to rebuild the stbd carb and then retune them. Should get what I need then.

When I bought this boat top speed was 7mph. Then hull cleaned and got 13mph now 21. Factory spec says 35 I hope I get close.
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

mowens wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:22 pm Alright we are getting there.

Ran it today and topped out at 21mph and 3k rpms on port motor 2.5k on starboard.

I think i need to rebuild the stbd carb and then retune them. Should get what I need then.

When I bought this boat top speed was 7mph. Then hull cleaned and got 13mph now 21. Factory spec says 35 I hope I get close.

I think most mid cabin owners will confirm that 35 is out of the question. A 10 meter express maybe...

I rebuilt both motors and put new carbs in and countless other upgrades and I can touch 27 mph on a good day turning 4100 rpm.

If your getting 21 mph at 3k, you’re in line with expectations. Now you have to figure out why you can’t get 4100-4200 rpm. Plugs, wires, timing, carbs, fuel filters...magic unicorns in the mufflers etc...
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin