6000 miles in a 35 year old Trojan – Is it possible?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Resolute

Back in the USA

Post by Resolute »

At this point we have been underway for 6 weeks and we are now through Canada and back into the US. We arrived in Mackinac Island after having traveled 1115 miles and burning 883 gallons of fuel. Our time in Canada was great, we even set a record for the furthest Northern Latitude that we traveled to (46⁰15.26’). I cannot say enough good things about traveling through Georgian Bay and the North Channel. We spent time on the hook in some of the most pristine and secluded locations. Being that it was late in the season there were hardly any boats on the water. The only reason we were anxious to continue on was the fact that we knew it was going to get cold soon and that Lake Michigan weather was going to be challenging… which it definitely was.

It was technically still summer when we arrived in Mackinac Island but the switch to Fall happened while we were docked. We could not have asked for better weather for this awesome spot. For those that are not familiar with this location, Mackinac Island is tiny with only about 4 square miles of land. There are no cars or motorized vehicles permitted there, which means the only way to get around is either by bicycle or horse. We spent several days here exploring the historic landmarks including the Grand Hotel and Fort Mackinac.

The Grand Hotel was built in 1887 and boasts about having the world’s largest porch. We treated ourselves to their Sunday Bruch and toured the grounds. They actually charge a $10 fee just to walk inside, but it honestly was worth it to see the craftsmanship from this place that is over 130 years old. In addition to the beauty of the immaculate grounds the Sunday Brunch was a feast to write home about. Everything from jumbo shrimp and crab to carved meats were on the menu. The dessert menu was also just as plentiful. As I am writing this I think I want to return to that island just to go back to the hotel for their brunch.
Grand Hotel
Grand Hotel
IMG-20200510-WA0000.jpg (73.94 KiB) Viewed 9615 times
Grand Hotel Porch
Grand Hotel Porch
IMG-20200510-WA0001.jpg (82.75 KiB) Viewed 9615 times
Following brunch we planned to walk off some of the calories but since it was raining we got a taxi. The taxis on the island are beautiful horse drawn carriages. It was a relaxing ride through the gorgeous island on our way back to the boat. Eventually the rain let up and we took another bike ride around the island. While biking there are many spots to explore with great lookout points and other items of interest. Actually over 80 percent of the island is preserved as a State Park.
Hotel Taxi
Hotel Taxi
IMG_20190922_141655894_HDR.jpg (851.08 KiB) Viewed 9615 times
The marina where we docked was in a superb location. It was right on the main street. It was a treat to wake up each morning to the click-clack, click-clack of the horseshoes making contact with the pavement as they made their way down the road. This as opposed to the sound of loud motorcycles, mopeds and obnoxious car stereos was a serene experience.
The Island UPS truck. Notice all the Amazon boxes
The Island UPS truck. Notice all the Amazon boxes
IMG_20190923_140302975_HDR.jpg (845.45 KiB) Viewed 9615 times
Prior to leaving the Island we also explored Fort Mackinac. This was another amazing place to visit. It was built in the 18th century and saw action in the American Revolutionary War, the War of 1812 and the Battle of Mackinac Island (1814). Each morning they play Revile and Taps at night. Also several times throughout the day they fire off the cannon from the hilltop. The latter made it a little challenging to nap during the afternoon.
View from the top of the Fort
View from the top of the Fort
IMG-20200510-WA0002.jpg (102.77 KiB) Viewed 9613 times
We originally planned to only spend a 3 days at the Island, but due to Lake Michigan weather we had to wait an extra 2 before we made the trek over to the West Coast of Michigan.
1985 Trojan International 10 Meter Flybridge Sedan - 454 Crusaders
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 6000 miles in a 35 year old Trojan – Is it possible?

Post by prowlersfish »

Again thank you I really am enjoying this thread , as I am sure many others are .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Resolute

Post by Resolute »

prowlersfish wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:29 pm Again thank you I really am enjoying this thread , as I am sure many others are .
You are most welcome. Stay tuned as there is a lot more to come. It has been fun writing this as it gives an opportunity to reminisce about all the great adventures that we've had thus far. Now if I could only find the time to catch up to where we currently are on our trip. We just arrived back in Florida after having spent 103 days in the Bahamas.

If you or any other Trojan Forum member want to follow our progress then please use this link:

https://trackme.nebo.global/?link=2ECM1 ... LA81JJ39KF

This phone based app, NEBO, is great. It's like AIS but for recreational boats. It follows our boat progress in real time.
Please check it out and if you or any other Trojan owners out there want to meet up as we make our way up the East Coast, then please reach out to me.
Thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Link puts you down under LOL

edit Its my PC link is fine
Last edited by prowlersfish on Mon May 11, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Fossil

Post by Fossil »

I agree with Prowlerfish, this a very enjoyable thread; and inspirational. My wife and first learned of the Great Loop several years ago. We talked about it for a bit but I didn't think our F36 would have the range with gassers that we needed for a certain stretch (on the Mississippi I believe). Maybe it is the perfect boat as we already have it, LOL. The trip is very much back on our radar now after following this. Thank you for posting!
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Absolutely amazing. No crew. I can't even get to Georgian Bay from Lake Simcoe due to the locks. E N V I O U S !!!!
F32 Fly 1975
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

My family and I are loving your blog. Please keep the pics and stories coming.
Captain Cook
1980 Trojan F36
my10meter
Sporadic User

Post by my10meter »

I am so glad Duane is putting this on here. We met when he stopped into my hometown on Lake Michigan last fall. I have been following their journey since, texting when we can. Really great jouney with a great couple!
Capt Dana
85'/05' 10 Meter Express
http://www.fishgh.com
blair

Post by blair »

Thank you, for this.
And all the nice things you had to say about Parks Canada, and Canada in general.
I wish I knew you were coming last year. I liveaboard at Lock 27 all summer and it would have been great to meet up. You cruised right past our tricabin and we probably waved to each other, as boaters do.
Looking forward to more!
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Agree with everyone else. A very enjoyable thread that is exciting to read. The pictures really make this look like an amazing experience for the two of you.
Currently Trojan-less :?
Resolute

What do you mean it won't start?

Post by Resolute »

Despite all the fun we had at Mackinac Island it was time to set sail for another port. We waited a couple extra days for a favorable weather window and were planning to depart at 0700. I did my usual pre-preparation by starting the engines then shutting them down after a very brief warm-up period. I have been in the habit of doing this as I feel it is a waste of fuel to fully warm them up at the dock. Our warm-up period happens when we idle out of the marina and slowly motor down the channel. After shutting down the engines I then single up the dock lines and take in the shore power. I then returned to the flybridge and started the starboard engine without issue, but the port just kept cranking. After a few minutes of this I waited, thinking it was flooded. A second attempt also proved futile. At this point our buddy boat that we were traveling with was a mile away but radioed asking if they needed us to return. We declined saying we’d have this fixed in no time and would see them at the next port. We put the rest of the dock lines back on and reattached the shore power, as I didn’t know if this was a 5 minute or a 5 hour fix.

I checked all the usual culprits: Fuel-Check, Air- Check, Spark-Umm, well, maybe. Not to worry though, knowing that we might be in some places where spare parts would not be readily available I was prepared for the worst. In my arsenal of spares I carry everything from filters, oil, pumps, wire, clamps, connectors and even a spare distributor. It thankfully didn’t take long to figure out that there was some corrosion underneath the distributor cap that was causing our starting issue. I replaced the cap, cleaned the connections and we were again ready to go. Had it not been for the vast quantity of spares and troubleshooting knowledge, we most likely would have had to wait for a mechanic to come from the mainland, diagnose the issue, order parts then wait for the parts to arrive and the mechanic to return. This may have taken a day or several, but either way our weather window to head further south would have been lost.

It was a beautiful fall day on the water of the Great Lakes. The seas were calm as we motored underneath the Mackinac Bridge. This was a remarkable structure as it stood over 550 feet above the water. The total bridge length is also an impressive 5 miles. Needless to say we felt a little small when passing underneath. The winds that day were about 15-20 which was not too bad, but I will admit that once we turned South after the abandoned lighthouse it did get a little rougher. Having boated on salt water my entire life I have always heard that boating on the Great Lakes is different, that it is not to be messed with and definitely needs to be respected. I did not take any of these tales lightly and can honestly say that after making our way down the coast of Michigan that the Lake can be fierce. The waves are wind driven and the period between them is always close. When there is a high wind warning on the Lake it will usually kick up the waves in no time flat.
Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge
IMG_20190924_091121116_HDR.jpg (383.79 KiB) Viewed 9332 times
IMG_20190924_091535767_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190924_091535767_HDR.jpg (799.25 KiB) Viewed 9332 times
Cars visible overhead
Cars visible overhead
IMG_20190924_091601550_HDR.jpg (831.65 KiB) Viewed 9332 times
The distance for this trip was almost 60 miles. We were motoring along at around 7mph so with our late departure we would not be getting to the dock until after it was almost dark. We made it down to a small town called Harbor Springs just before their fuel dock closed. It looked like a great place to visit, but our plans for the evening had us staying in Petoskey as that was where our buddy boat was waiting for us. Upon arriving in Petoskey we found there was not much time to explore, but we did manage to stock up on some much needed supplies namely food and beer. We were actually excited about beer shopping as we found the prices in Canada to be a little on the high side for such. It was not unusual to pay $50 or more for a case there.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Great reading and glad it was a easy boat fix .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Great thread !

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Agreed, really great thread. Hoping to put a deposit down on a ‘85 10 meter, in pristine condition. This may help convince the wife.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

While it was not a great day to be out on the bay , it was a great day to meet other Trojan Boaters . I was lucky to be able to catch up with Fellow Trojan owners that are truly living the dream . You do meet the nicest people on a Trojan yacht . I hope to meet up with them again .
Attachments
bella4.jpg
bella4.jpg (109.5 KiB) Viewed 8637 times
Bella.jpg
Bella.jpg (103.78 KiB) Viewed 8637 times
bella2.jpg
bella2.jpg (131.66 KiB) Viewed 8637 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels