Engine issues

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mowens

Engine issues

Post by mowens »

So I rebuilt carb, redid intake manifold, and engine started ran great.

Went to take family out next day and no start just turns over. Fiddled a bit and figured it was a bad coil. Replaced coil and ballast resistor. Now it starts but only as long as your holding the switch in start - which I understood was a sign of bad ballast resistor, which is brand new.

Any ideas?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Engine issues

Post by prowlersfish »

Yes ,sounds like the resistor , but I have seen the switch do it too . You did not say what model but if you have dual helms try the other one .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mowens

Post by mowens »

454 crusaders with quadrajets.

It was a bad resistor. Put another new one in fired right up.

Now the new problem is the fast idle set about 2500 RPMs. I don't see any kind of adjusting screw.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

mowens wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm 454 crusaders with quadrajets.

It was a bad resistor. Put another new one in fired right up.

Now the new problem is the fast idle set about 2500 RPMs. I don't see any kind of adjusting screw.
Fast idle screw is on the same side as the choke linkage (well hidden )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mowens

Post by mowens »

So on mine it looks like the front piece once held a screw but it doesnt now. Whats funny is the other carb is the same but fat idles perfect at 10k

Hope this shows what im seeing. That large flathead screw doesnt seem to do anything except hold those parts on.
Attachments
20200515_154411.jpg
20200515_154411.jpg (145.91 KiB) Viewed 9151 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Forgive the poor photos of photos . The screws viewed from the bottom of carb . I have always hated chokes on a boat , I used to set my lean or open by disconnecting .But you have to play with the throttles till they warm up a bit Nice thing about diesels no choke . Did I tell how much I hate chokes on a boat ? :mrgreen:

I am not 100% all did have the screw ,but thinking they did and always had trouble seeing it . And that was in the old days when I had good eyes .
Attachments
q-jet 2.jpg
q-jet 2.jpg (29.7 KiB) Viewed 9135 times
q-jet1.jpg
q-jet1.jpg (26.48 KiB) Viewed 9135 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mowens

Post by mowens »

I see what your referencing. Mine does not have that screw. It does have threads for one though.

Yea chokes suck lol I do like diesels but in not spending that yet.

So since my screw does not exsist is tgere a different way? The other motor also does not uave the screw but fast idles perfect.
mowens

Post by mowens »

Tried a few things still can't get the fast idle down.

Ran the boat yesterday for 22 miles top speed 21.4 mph. When we started out had a sound kind of like a pressure release ping of metal. Ran stbd at 3k rpm port 2.5k rpm as we came in port sped up to 2.7k on it's own. As we slowed down in the marinas no wake zone heard the port sound like a small backfire through the carb like a puff.
Stbd / port
Temps ran. 170 / 185
Oil pressure 40psi / 30psi

Not sure what else to do here. I'm tunning the carbs this week. Going to do a flush on the cooling system
Oil change with marvel mystery oil

Po claimed new impellers both engines and new plugs port side.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Couple of things... both temps - way too high. Running engines at different RPMs - why? If they were actually in synch you have gauge or wiring issues, if they were not in synch and you just chose to run them at different RPMs..... just gonna leave that one alone for now. 21mph for WOT - you are down at least 7-10 mph of what it should be doing. Bottom line, think you have lots of issues.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Was that running wide open ? When was the bottom last cleaned ? Fresh (closed) or raw water cooled ? What weight oil ? Why the snake oil ?(marvel mystery oil) it thins the oil .

And have you checked the firing order ?

On the high idle engine make sure all the choke linkage is free and check to make sure the secondary's are not partly stuck open . also make sure the high idle cam is on right .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mowens

Post by mowens »

captainmaniac wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm Couple of things... both temps - way too high. Running engines at different RPMs - why? If they were actually in synch you have gauge or wiring issues, if they were not in synch and you just chose to run them at different RPMs..... just gonna leave that one alone for now. 21mph for WOT - you are down at least 7-10 mph of what it should be doing. Bottom line, think you have lots of issues.
The temps being high yes why i plan a flush and clean out the passages.

Different rpms that was wot I should have clarified that point. The synch gauge sits dead center never moves I think its toast. I ran then at 2.5k rpm generally.

I'm sure I have lots of issues why I'm asking trying to figure it out. Lol
prowlersfish wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:54 am Was that running wide open ? When was the bottom last cleaned ? Fresh (closed) or raw water cooled ? What weight oil ? Why the snake oil ?(marvel mystery oil) it thins the oil .

And have you checked the firing order ?

On the high idle engine make sure all the choke linkage is free and check to make sure the secondary's are not partly stuck open . also make sure the high idle cam is on right .
Yes that was wot. Bottom cleaned a month ago. Fresh water. Currently 30w. the mmo does thin out also has some solvents that break gunk down helps loosen rings etc. I was going to add it run the engine for a bit then drain and go fresh with rotella 15w-30

Checked firing order

I think its something wrong with the fast idle cam they look the same both engines as far as I can tell.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You may have posted this , all fuel filters clean ? including the small ones in the carbs ? If the chokes are not 100% open the secondary's will not open

Oil 15w-30 ?? You mean 15W-40 ? That or straight 30 or 40 ( warm/ hot areas) no snake oils please
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mowens

Post by mowens »

Yea, just rebuilt carbs and filters and the antisyphon valves.

I thought 15w30 I'll go 15w40 and its hot here South Alabama.
I haven't watched secondaries but have seen the choke go fully open.
mowens

Post by mowens »

Continuing saga.

So took the boat out friday ran 14miles out fished a bit and drove back ZERO issues. Ran avg 21mph at 3k rpm I could have pushed more topped speed at 26mph close to 3500 rpm.

Today I took the boat out again. I took the boat out again and went 17miles out no problems.

Turned home went aobut 6 miles STBD motor started dropping rpm wouldnt get over 2k and would try to die if I held the rpms up. If I let it go down to 10-15 it worked but surged. As we got closer to shore It stopped doing that and ran up to higher rpm but started to click or knock and I really hope it isnt what I think it is. Lot of steam out the exhaust. Check oil when got to dock and looked fine not lower that I could tell and black (needs a change yes) but not fouled anyway I could tell. I am at a loss as this motor has been pretty spot on since I got the boat. Put my hand on the exhaust elbow it was hot but not more then usual.

PORT motor ran fine until we got the last little bit home then it wanted to act stupid as well and wouldn't throttle up either sounded like it was sucking air or trying to run out of gas over 1500 rpm.

I tuned carbs prior to fridays trip via vacuum at 19 psi and it ran great
added 60 gallons of fuel split between tanks for this trip
temps never went past 170 at 3k rpm and stayed closer to 150 at low rpms
STBD oil pressure was 30-40psi POrt was 40-50 been like that since I got it not sure why the difference.

If anyone has any Ideas im alll ears. I am trying to find a mechanic to come look but nobody seems to do that anymore.

TIA
rossjo
Ultimate User

Trojan F32 with Cummins 6BTA5.9 Diesels, Re: Engine issues

Post by rossjo »

mowens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 am I do like diesels but in not spending that yet.
Do I have a deal for you!???? :D viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11943

Image Image
More info: https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d ... 28305.html
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17