ignition coils

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

antlrking

ignition coils

Post by antlrking »

I'm not sure. I have a 1979 trojan express 30. Chrysler LM318's What are the correct coils for these engines? Do automotive coils work? Ballast resistors and or spark plugs? What are the correct ones? I am having so much trouble with these engines losing power after warmed up to temp. I'm pulling my hair out.... Thanks, Antlrking...
antlrking

Re: ignition coils

Post by antlrking »

also both engines are rebuilt. 166 hours. they used to run good. now not so much. no power. stalls a lot. I put 2 new carbs on. new plugs. ect… running out of things to do.
mowens

Post by mowens »

Check timing?
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

My crusader 270s did not like weak distributor springs.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
antlrking

Post by antlrking »

one guy did tell me to pull those distributors and replace with HEI distributors. He said they will work better. He said then I could eliminate all of the electronic ignition stuff. Any thoughts on this remod?
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

No downside. I have one old style and one electronic. Electronic one always starts sooner than the other.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
mowens

Post by mowens »

What carbs? I know the edelbrock carbs need a higher shim. And if the shim is to great the bowl won't fill properly, to short it floods.

New carbs or rebuilt?
Check vacuum?
Check spark on each plug? Drop test

Stalling after warm sounds like fuel issue. Maybe check tuning on carbs as well.

Check compression?

An old coil heating up could cause that "but" since it is both I'm inclined to think not. Typically you wouldn't see the same failure at the same time in both.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Are the both losing power at the same time ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

one guy did tell me to pull those distributors and replace with HEI distributors. He said they will work better. He said then I could eliminate all of the electronic ignition stuff. Any thoughts on this remod?
No downside. I have one old style and one electronic. Electronic one always starts sooner than the other.
What brand to you recommend. Checking prices I have come up with a range of about $83 to $350 no wires.
F32 Fly 1975
hammerhead

Post by hammerhead »

i just installed new pertronix distributors and blaster coils. bypass all the chrysler ignition junk. runs so much better