Air conditioner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Raven3633

Air conditioner

Post by Raven3633 »

I recently purchased an F36 model 1973 that is in great shape. The AC is cool but not cold. I have no idea where to charge this system or what Freon it uses. Also does anyone know where I can find a schematic for the water pump? I know where it is but the water system was not dewinterized and all of the water lines are unhooked. I have no idea where they hook up. Lastly, on the sliding doors in the cabin, I took them off to stain the cabin and noticed they have these plastic guides on the bottoms. Mine are missing or broken, do they still make them or are there good options to reinstalling them?

Thanks.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Air conditioner

Post by prowlersfish »

Raven3633 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:34 am I recently purchased an F36 model 1973 that is in great shape. The AC is cool but not cold. I have no idea where to charge this system or what Freon it uses. Also does anyone know where I can find a schematic for the water pump? I know where it is but the water system was not dewinterized and all of the water lines are unhooked. I have no idea where they hook up. Lastly, on the sliding doors in the cabin, I took them off to stain the cabin and noticed they have these plastic guides on the bottoms. Mine are missing or broken, do they still make them or are there good options to reinstalling them?

Thanks.
I will try and help , some my answers may only apply for factory or similar replacements . I am assuming its a F36 convertible Trojan put the compressor(s) under the floor by the lower helm . the panel is about where your right foot would using the lower helm , if you have one . But are getting ahead of our selves . It will not cool with out water flow . The hose run from a thru hull to a strainer ( again assuming you have one) then to the pump . From the pump it tees off i and it goes to the Compressor units and after that discharged out the side . These use R22 . You have to be licensed to buy it . Do not confuse it with R22a The 22a is a flammable sub the should not be used it can damage the unit or blow you boat up . Only real R22 can be used . Now if these are not what came on the boat and 10 years old or so they could take some thing else . It will say on the unit .

Check with Bacon marine for the guides

Hope this helps
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Raven3633

Post by Raven3633 »

Thank you that helps. I will see if I can locate the compressor. If I can find that I have gauges. It does pump water out of the side and actually it is quite a stream and it does cool, but not cold. that is why I think it might be a bit low on Freon.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Raven3633 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:38 pm Thank you that helps. I will see if I can locate the compressor. If I can find that I have gauges. It does pump water out of the side and actually it is quite a stream and it does cool, but not cold. that is why I think it might be a bit low on Freon.
So when you said hoses and water pump you were not talking about the AC system .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Captain Obvious here

I'm sure you checked the filter - and make sure it is NOT the household type, :shock: just a simple, washable screen toallow for max air flow over the coils

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Raven3633

Post by Raven3633 »

Correct I was not talking about the AC for the water pump.
I was referring to the water pump that pumps water to the toilet, sinks etc. I know where it is located under the VBirth and I can see it but all of the hoses are disconnected I was told it was winterized and never de-winterized. I hit the switch for it and it is trying to work but again nothing hooked up , I see the hot water heater as well under there. I need to know what hose hooks up to where.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

On our F-36 convertible, the water pump for the AC system is under the dinette seat nearest the lower helm. When you turn on the switch for the AC, you should see one or two streams of water coming out a through hull just above the water line. On our boat, that is on the starboard side in the middle of the boat. Without water circulating through the compressor, it will quickly shut down due to overheating.

If you are in an area with hot water and it is a sunny day, you might not get as much cooling as you would like. Our salon is not able to stay cool in such conditions, though the V-berth is quite comfortable.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Raven3633 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:05 am Correct I was not talking about the AC for the water pump.
I was referring to the water pump that pumps water to the toilet, sinks etc. I know where it is located under the VBirth and I can see it but all of the hoses are disconnected I was told it was winterized and never de-winterized. I hit the switch for it and it is trying to work but again nothing hooked up , I see the hot water heater as well under there. I need to know what hose hooks up to where.
That not where Trojan put the pump and water heater on the F36 . do you have a hull id # or model # ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Raven3633

Post by Raven3633 »

Sorry, your correct. mine is located under the steps from the kitchen to the lower birthing areas. Now for an update. I was able to hook up the water pump that it now fills the water heater, pumps water to the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink. But I have yet to find or figure out where the water line hooks up for the toilet. That is the only thing I do not have hooked up. The toilet has a water line and valve on it and it is open, but still no water goes to it. I was also told it can pump overboard or the waste tank. I don't know how or where you set it to do one or the other.

Ken
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Do you have a owners manual ? It may have the info .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Raven3633

Post by Raven3633 »

I do but it doesn't specify , I apparently have a monomatic toilet. I see a pumping handle in the closet. I am assuming that it goes to that toilet? Looking at youtube it doesn't really give me much of a clue. I don't see a water hookup for it, though that line runs into the pump. Does that pump fill the toilet? How and where does it evacuate?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I Had One of those . First boat project I did was get rid of it . recirculating toilet ? not on my boat

"The Monomatic is a self contained recirculating toilet. It has an internal maserator and circulating pump. It needs a "charge" of a gallon or two of water with a preservative chemical added. They work a lot like and airplane toilet."
Attachments
MonomaticToiletManualPagesAllMAIN.jpg
MonomaticToiletManualPagesAllMAIN.jpg (108.92 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Raven3633

Post by Raven3633 »

So I simply dump a couple gallons of water into the toilet? when i flush it then I have to add water to it as well?