Trojan F44 Raw Waterpump question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ItsOnlyMoneyIGuess

Trojan F44 Raw Waterpump question

Post by ItsOnlyMoneyIGuess »

Hi all. New member and new owner of a Trojan F44 Motor Yacht. Boat has twin Chrysler 440 gas inboards. Can someone confirm which way the starboard engine raw water pump (Sherwood D55) goes on? Does it go opposite/flipped over from the orientation of the port side raw water pump? I took it off to rebuild it a couple weeks back. Life got in the way and well....yeah. I can't remember which way is right at this point. I think it goes with the cam mounting screws and the markings facing out, away from the engine block. I think that's what the markings for intake and outlet are trying to tell me ...but honestly they dont' make much sense to me. Just hoping someone knows for sure!

Also, I don't like the looks of the molded hoses going from the top of the raw water pump to the engine etc. Would like to replacem them. Are these molded hoses still available? Or can I just use corrugated flexible exhaust/water hose or some other alternative? Thanks in advance for any help!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Trojan F44 Raw Waterpump question

Post by prowlersfish »

It should go just the opposite of the other engine . Check with Beacon on the hose . But if you have room for turns flex hose should work .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Our F-36 with 440's has an aftermarket fresh water cooling system from Sen-Dure which uses the D55 for a circulation pump, so take this with a grain of salt!

Both D55 pumps are mounted in the same orientation on the right side of each engine, and I SUSPECT this is true of the more standard configuration. Best to check with Bob on this.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

WayWeGo wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:39 pm Our F-36 with 440's has an aftermarket fresh water cooling system from Sen-Dure which uses the D55 for a circulation pump, so take this with a grain of salt!

Both D55 pumps are mounted in the same orientation on the right side of each engine, and I SUSPECT this is true of the more standard configuration. Best to check with Bob on this.
What about the raw water hoses ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If the pump is spinning the opposed direction as the other , It has to be turned around to pump . Look at the markings .
Attachments
pump 440.jpg
pump 440.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

prowlersfish wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:28 pm
WayWeGo wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:39 pm Our F-36 with 440's has an aftermarket fresh water cooling system from Sen-Dure which uses the D55 for a circulation pump, so take this with a grain of salt!

What about the raw water hoses ?
There is a Jabsco 777 single chamber pump providing raw water to the engine.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
ItsOnlyMoneyIGuess

Post by ItsOnlyMoneyIGuess »

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated. It appears flipped opposite from the port engine for the starboard engine is correct for this raw water setup. (The side with the cam mounting screws and markings faces in toward the block on the port engine and out away from the engine on the starboard side.) Yes. I guess that's what the markings were trying to tell me all along.

At least I'm assuming that all is correct because it pumps water out the exhaust, I'm not blowing bubbles under the boat and nothing is overheating.