Updating a Trojan keeping it traditional

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Gignatius

Updating a Trojan keeping it traditional

Post by Gignatius »

Purchasing a Trojan Tri Cabin that has a full fiberglass hull. The boat has been maintained wonderfully. I want to keep it as true to Trojan as possible, while upgrading it for a modern owner. I wanted to put bidet toilets in both heads. Thoughts? I would like to have a steam shower. You don’t use much water if you have steam. I plan to upgrade the electric panel. My thought is to replace the area that was used for tools with an LG combo Washer/Dryer. The unit is really elegant, and the space works. I also want to do refrigerator/freezer drawers from subzero or Kitchen Aid. I’d like to do one of the Bosch 18” dishwashers. The sink I think needs to be a single basin sink. An induction cooktop with a combo convection/microwave oven upgrades the cooking area. I want to get one of the electric pizza ovens that can do 750 for flatbread type pizza. I think the countertops in the cooking area and the baths need to be corian or granite. What have others done? What worked and what didn’t? I’m thinking about replacing the shag carpet with bamboo.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Updating a Trojan keeping it traditional

Post by prowlersfish »

That is a lot of work . First A bidet toilet ? Being a house hold type tolet it won't be able to flush on a boat . Unless there is a marine one with a pump .I have never seen one . For all the other upgrades , you will really need to up grade the shore power . Most likley to 250 volt 50 amp not cheap . Your up grades will be costly . Something you will not get back when sold . Do yoy plan on keeping her for a long time ?

Others have done upgrades but not likley the same type .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

We all know that a boat is NOT an asset like a home, it is an expense who's value declines

Depreciating assets decline in value over time and are worth less and less the longer you own the asset.

Our boats are at the bottom of the depreciation curve

it would be interesting to see a budget for these upgrades

With that done, then see the rationale

In the end, does the RATIONALE justify the BUDGET?

I don't see it here, but people thought I was nutz for doing my Yanmar repower.......................... back in 2005 :)

LENGTH OF OWNERSHIP IS KEY !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

What the _______??????

Oh well, everyone needs a dream. Mine’s putting lithium batteries in the house bank and solar panels on the hardtop.

Just trying to imagine the size of the power bank needed to run the 750F pizza oven alone.

Oh, my head!! :shock:
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Gignatius,

Don't know if you already bought the boat. A survey is a very sound approach before forking over the cash.

Make sure the rear bedroom is NOT leaking at both rear corners. The water will soak your shins while you sleep. It's a common weakness in these old girls but it CAN be fixed. Better though just to avoid buying a leaker.

With all that cooking on warm summer days and/or with that summer sun beating down on your cabin roof..... what kind of air-conditioning system were you thinking about installing?? How many BTU's were you considering? You'll probably need 13000 for the cabin and front stateroom. The rear cabin will need 7500. Resist the temptation to go lower BTU's. That tool area where you are considering installing the washer/dryer is where the air conditioning system was located in my Tricabin

May I also suggest ripping out the seating in the cockpit and building a U-shaped seating arrangement for nine? I did that on my TriCabin. What kind of sound system do you have in mind.

Best of luck

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters