1980 Trojan f32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

NewBoater208

1980 Trojan f32

Post by NewBoater208 »

Looking at buying a 1980 Trojan f32, Since the engines are under the salon floor, how much noise is created? Have not gone on a sea trial yet. What extra's have anyone added to their boat, new electronics (Radar/ GPS), stereo's, autopilot, Gallons per Hour gauges?
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: 1980 Trojan f32

Post by RWS »

engine noise will vary with speed.

displacement speed noise far less than on plane or WOT

Have you made an offer on this boat?

What boating experience do you bring?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

NewBoater208 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 am Looking at buying a 1980 Trojan f32, Since the engines are under the salon floor, how much noise is created? Have not gone on a sea trial yet. What extra's have anyone added to their boat, new electronics (Radar/ GPS), stereo's, autopilot, Gallons per Hour gauges?
Noise is very subjective and can vary do to a lot of factors .Speed as noted . If your running it from the fly bridge not much at all you can hear the engines but its not noisy . Down below it will be noisier , How much will depend on condition of the insolation I have seen more added and I have seen it removed ( :( ) . The carpet helps too , OEM carpet help a lot if it been replace it could help or be louder . Some times people remove it . Bottom line is you need to judge it for your self . While I have a F36 I some time on 32s and its about the same as far as "noise"

I have a F36 and I have a Radar 2 GPS and 2 VHFs on the fly bridge .Down below I have 1 vhf and a radar/gps display linked to the upper . I never ever use the lower . Hard top with a full enclosure . GPH gauges would be nice but to costly on diesels . Auto pilot still in the box as its not high on my to do list . Stereo ? Yes I have nice one and it may still work , I just never turn it on . Running I want to hear the VHF and the sound of water engines purring ant rest I like quiet :D

What is your intend use and area ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
NewBoater208

Post by NewBoater208 »

i have made an offer contingent to the hull and engine surveys. This will be my 1st boat, wanted something over 26' so we can cruise around the Puget Sound and spend time on the boat in comfort.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

First boat........

Learn all you can

Consider the age of the vessel and your own skill set as far as repairs are concerned

Many folks have a romanticized idea of what this "hobby/activity/lifestyle is all about and become disillusioned very quickly once reality sets in.

I see it right here on my own home saltwater canal

Best of luck!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Being this is your first boat a safe boating course would be in order . I don't know you so I have to ask . Do you have any experience on the water and operating a boat around this size and with twins ? If so great . If not fine somone who does and get them to go out with you . It maybe a friend or even hire a captain . Your season is almost over up there , So I assume you will be hauling out and winterizing soon ? have you done the sea trial ? Engine noise ok with you ?

Good luck and any questions on the survey please ask
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
buffalobill

Post by buffalobill »

We purchased a 1980 F 32 this last August down in Erie ,Pa. I've been around boats for 60 years but this is the biggest for us. She has twin Chrysler 360's. Boat was is excellent shape but, check the lag bolts mounting the engines! We broke a motor mount near Dunkirk,NY and a fast learning (trail by fire) lesson bringing her in with 1 engine and a northeast wind. The engines aren't that loud and most of the noise is out the stern. Learn everything about the boat. Hope you are mechanical inclined and flexiable to work down in the engine area. I'm adding lights down there in the spring. You can contact me if you have questions. Good luck!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Noise levels are not that bad, but as prowlersfish has said, could depend on any mods a prior owner has made. Loose equipment or other stuff vibrating or banging around could be more annoying than engine noise. I typically operate from the flybridge for enhanced visibility, fresh air, and wind in your hair - bugs in your teeth delight, and is definitely a lot quieter up top.

Also depends a lot on how you intend to operate it. Noodling along at 1500 RPM (8 knots) its quiet everywhere. Optimal cruise speed 2800-3200 RPM (16-22 knots depending on conditions) is obviously louder. I have had the boat for about 20 years.

I haven't really added any extras other than mostly 'safety' items. For the most part I want to keep the boat as original and true to history as possible, but I have:
  • replaced wheel at lower station with the one that came from my father's 1969 28' Sea Skiff
  • replaced all gauges
  • new engine synch
  • new VHF radios
  • new depth sounders
  • added GPS
  • added separate 'distribution / fuse panel' for items powered off of house battery
  • upgraded hydraulic steering
  • replaced old (leaking) compass
  • replaced all manifold gaskets after finding one leaking
  • upgraded 'recirculating' head with new macerating system
Did some other stuff to (canvas, cockpit carpet, etc...) but that's just cosmetic.

Have thought about adding arch, radar, satellite TV, swapping depth finder out for forward scanning sonar, relocating antennas, etc... but not sure how much longer I will have the boat, and know I won't get the money back out.
NewBoater208

Post by NewBoater208 »

Had an engine survey and took a short sea trial. The engines were pretty good and had been well maintained. The engines were quiet,
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That's a good start .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels