Are my risers and elbow going bad?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ce31708

Are my risers and elbow going bad?

Post by ce31708 »

Hello,
I'm new to the Trojan world and this is my first post.
I have a 1986 10M mid cabin.
At trolling speeds (idle speed), the water temp runs around 140-150. When I get up to 3000rpm, the temperature goes up to 170-180. I also notice a white "smoke" in the exhaust (more in the port motor than the starboard)

Is this a normal operating temp while under power and does the white "smoke" mean my elbow and risers are going bad? Or is there another possible problem?

Many thanks in advance.
Chip
BobCT
Active User

Re: Are my risers and elbow going bad?

Post by BobCT »

Are you basing this on the gauges? I would double check with an IR gun at various points to confirm. 140-150 is actually a little low, 170-180 at cruise is perfect. The exhaust elbows shouldn't be too hot to touch, mine are 110-120ish if I recall.

I would baseline both engines with a gun and hit the top of the coolant sending unit and ea elbow and riser. Have the impellors been changed? If unknown, do that immediately. That's cheap, easy and needs to be done anyway. The steam you see could be slightly lower exhaust water flow.

One upgrade I would strongly suggest is an exhaust hose temp alarm. That will warn you long before any of the factory gauges if the water flow is too low and the exhaust hose is getting too hot. Mine has saved me once already. I tried to stretch the impellors into a 3rd season (stupid) and the alarm went off as I was docking. Vanes were broken off the impellor and I could have easily been underway.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin