Nav lights pop breaker at main panel

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

buffalobill

Nav lights pop breaker at main panel

Post by buffalobill »

Happy Fathers Day Boys. Here's one for you. Turned on nav lights for first time this year last night. Anchor light works fine alone. Turned on front nav lights, pops breaker after 2 seconds. Turned on nav lights alone, same issue. Appears front nav lights are the problem. So, I'm thinking corroded light sockets(water got inside),old wiring, old bulbs drawing too much? Just looking for your thoughts out there. Have a good day!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Nav lights pop breaker at main panel

Post by prowlersfish »

Yes it could be the items you listed Look at the wiring around the switch(s) also. Look for chaft wiring. What boat is this?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
buffalobill

Post by buffalobill »

1980 Trojan F32.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

That sounds like an overheating condition caused by corroded wiring. I've had to go back a couple of feet on a couple of circuits on my boat to get to good copper. While not a fix, installing LEDS if the wiring is marginal is a good idea anyway. I hate those nav lights on the best of circuits because they get so hot.
1988 10m mid cabin
buffalobill

Post by buffalobill »

Additional info. Anchor light alone will not trip dc panel nav light switch. But, front nav lights alone will trip dc panel nav light breaker. I will be going to LED bulbs soon. Has any one tried replaced the wiring to these lights and their routing thru the boat to the lower helm? In the end I think the wiring will need to be done. More trouble shooting to follow.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Not for your specific model. I've done a lot of rewiring on my boat and I haven't had to replace an entire circuit. Almost every wiring issue has been within a few feet of either end.
1988 10m mid cabin