Trojan Sea Queen sea worthiness

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DaveF

Trojan Sea Queen sea worthiness

Post by DaveF »

Hi,

I am considering buying a 1957 Trojan Sea Queen and have found a beautiful boat for sale. My concern however is that I live in Long Beach Ca and don’t want to be confined to the marina.

Can you take this size of boat out into the open ocean? I am not wanting to go out far but rather travel along the coast and visit neighboring cities and marinas. Is this something I could do in a sea queen or should I be looking for a larger boat. The one I’m considering has a 35hp Johnson 2cylinder outboard and everything is in good working condition.

I would love to get some good opinions so I don’t end up buying the wrong boat for my need.

Cheers, Dave.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Trojan Sea Queen sea worthiness

Post by prowlersfish »

That boat was made for inland waters not offshore. Not sure what size Sea Queen but by the engine size it can't be too big. Offshore you would want something bigger and much newer.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thank you for your response.

It’s a 16ft boat. The thought was only to go far enough out in order to make it from one harbor to the next. Stay close to shore and travel a couple of miles along the shore line to the next inlet.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I'm sure the inlets are more than a few miles apart. The ocean is not the place for small boats let alone an older wooden boat.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

I would Join a boat rental club like the Freedom boat club. You will get a choice of boats so you can see what best suits your needs. And they offer unlimited instructions. After a year in the club, you will be much better informed on what boat you should consider buying.

https://www.freedomboatclub.com/
And they have a place in long Beach

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

check one:

inexperienced boater

dreamer

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I'd check BOTH.

DO YOUR RESEARCH AND ABOVE ALL, BE SAFE !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Brooks

Post by Brooks »

Fun topic - I'm in Long Beach too, and also started off in a small boat, albeit a 17 ft center console with a 60 hp motor.

In essence - buy the boat and stay in the harbor. Duffy boats rule the area, and if it's a classic looking boat you'll be right at home. Music in the marina on Thursday nights, dinners, fishing inside the breakwater might be it...

For reference - a few times, I'd take my 17 footer to San Pedro, where hurricane harbor lived up to it's name, and always scared the new boater right out of me. Once, on the way back, I nearly stuffed the bow in the wake of a big boat. Really not fun. I'd also go south to Huntington Harbor and to the oil islands to fish. I probably shook loose every screw in that poor boat. Guests would have mutinied if there were any. I know you *can* take small boats to Catalina on a calm morning, but you really shouldn't as conditions change quickly. I know a few who've gone over in dinghies, but most do it once, and/or regret the last time.

Moving to a 25 footer solved many problems, and helped me gain some knowledge. A few years, and many trips to Catalina later, I bought an F32, and while it doesn't solve every problem, it solves many issues that smaller boats experience.

Good luck in what you do - and pick the safest choice
Brooks

I forgot to mention - the BEST day of my boating life was when I threw away my Johnson 15 hp 2 stroke outboard and replaced it with a Tohatsu