Swim platform integrity

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Rmunroe1

Swim platform integrity

Post by Rmunroe1 »

Does anyone know what if any core material is present in the reverse swim platform of a 1989 International 12 Meter Express? Thanks
InvincibleSummer

Re: Swim platform integrity

Post by InvincibleSummer »

I do not know the answer to your question, however in general, most swim platforms have a core ... especially older platforms.

If you are considering drilling into the platform to mount anything, I share your concern. I'm currently planning on installing a pedestal mount for a Magma Grill on our 44' Trojan Express and will be drilling a through hole larger than the diameter of the needed bolt and then refilling the hole with epoxy ... then redrilling the holes needed for the bolt. That way, the platform will be protected by the epoxy no matter what. Should be worry free.
Brad
Austin TX (winter)
Saugatuck, MI (summer)
98' Trojan 440 Express
Rmunroe1

Post by Rmunroe1 »

Thanks. That would have been really good advice for previous owner I think. I have a constant drip under platform into bilge at forward edge of platform, midship and trying to ascertain where to begin to look for issue of how big an issue it may be
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Most likely balsa cored. The leak may be from the mounting hardware.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D