“Whiny” Prop Shaft

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Boppy
Sporadic User

“Whiny” Prop Shaft

Post by Boppy »

Aside from my recent tale of woe about the missing rudder, when I had work done on the prop and rudder stock in 2019 (after I finally found “that rock” after 40+ years on the same lake) I started noticing a “whine” or harmonic ringing from the prop shaft at around 1400-1600 rpm in forward. Thinking it might be the result of work done on the prop and shaft after it was removed, trued and replaced. Any ideas?
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: “Whiny” Prop Shaft

Post by captainmaniac »

If shaft was not truly straightened, that could be an issue.

Engine / shaft / stuffing box / strut alignment... if your collision pushed any of that out of alignment, could also result in that. Had an issue for a couple years where one shaft seemed to have a harmonic drone when rotating at a certain speed, but not others.... eventually found stuffing box nut was cross-threaded, meaning it was not fully aligned with the shaft and was at a (very slight) angle compared with it... causing enough extra friction to cause the drone sound. Once nut was undone and properly reset, no more issues.

So again , alignment of stuff post collision could be worth looking in to.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I agree with captainmaniac. Also, check for a bent strut. could the whine becoming from the trans or engine? One other thing Did you use prop speed on the prop? I have heard cases of it causing a whine.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Thanks for your advice. I’ll get things looked at either before haul out this year or after haul out next year. Methinks it’s a strut issue but I’ll check the stuffing box nut. Right now, with no rudder, the boat’s not going anywhere….or maybe just in circles in reverse (prop walk to port). FUN TIMES!!
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY