BOATERS WORLD TO SHUT DOWN IN 3 MONTHS

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

BOATERS WORLD TO SHUT DOWN IN 3 MONTHS

Post by aaronbocknek »

hey gang, i was at my local boater's world yesterday morning and the manager who always calls me by name, came up to me and she informed me that david ritz, owner of ritz camera and boater's world has put the operation up for chapter 7 liquidation. she is an amazing person and i will miss going to the store and having her greet me personally. now i am stuck with west marine as a boat store source if i want something right away.....and i friggin HATE west marine as they are 3 times as expensive as boater's world. what really bakes my cookies is the information the manager gave me. there were several options, one was to find a buyer and keep the stores open, and two find a liquidator to sell the assets. there were two interested parties in keeping the operation as a going concern, but the liquidator came in with the highest bid for mr. ritz to fund his loosing camera store operation. just thought i would pass it on. they expect to close by mid june.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

The economy is hurting, as is the boating industry.

In addition to Dave Ritz's problems (his camera store are causing most of the issue), dealers are struggling, as the lenders for "floor planning" are pulling out or not taking new loans to "floor plan" boats on dealer's show-room floors. Its sad, because a lot of good manufacturers and dealers will fail, and be replaced by conglomerates.

http://www.boating-industry.com/output.cfm?id=2055997
NMMA: Tell Congress to support marine floorplan financing
(NMMA is National Marine Manufacturers Association)

Yes, I own a small marine manufacturer, but I will say that the industry seems to be moving towards direct sales (less middle men like dealers and Boaters World), but that creates a distribution problem. Anyone in distribution?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I am sorry to lose boaters world and they can be slighty cheaper the west .But I do most my busness with West becuse of the service they know boats. at boaters world most of the boaters there are jet skiers that know liltle about boats if the even know what a jet ski is . do not have I need in stock . West has what I need or will go out of their way to get it . on the water I run into the people that work at west . I think the BW people stay on land :D

5 Years ago I spent more at BW then west becuse of price but it got to the point that I would go to BW they did not have what I need so I ended up at west anyway .( they will price match )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Prowlerfish,.. DITTO, I have had some bad experiences at Boaters World with service and most of the employees seem not to have any boating experience. You know something is not right when You know more about there store items than the BW employees. When I ask about specific big boat items they admit that they are more centered on small boats and don't carry much for big boats. I have bought some smaller items a few dollars cheaper at BW but when I go into West Marine I feel like I'm surrounded by Professionals who have answers and like you said, If they don't have it, they will and do get it. I have never had to wait more than a few days for the most difficult to find item. I don't mind paying a little extra for good parts and service. Besides Boats are supposed to be expensive...aren't they? :?
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

I don't know the Boater's World that others go to but I am with Arron. I know the manager of Boaters World, Rhonda, that Arron is talking about. She is first class, very knowledgeable, and has been with that Boater's World store since it's begining in White Marsh, MD. Damn shame. West Marine's prices are twice what Boater's World charges. I am also a member of the Maryland Saltwater Sportsman's Assn. Boater's World was a sponser of the MSSA, and contributed about forty thousand a year in contest money and prizes for the MSSA Fishing Tourments in Maryland. West Marine is probably jumping for joy!!!!

John
F-31 Trojan
Galloway Creek Marina
Middle River, MD
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Twice the price ? 3 times the price ? comon guys
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

Come on guys? A few years ago I replaced all the push-pull switches on both the lower helm and the flying bridge. Same switch, same box, same part# and half the price of West Marine at Boater's World. Believe it!

John
F-31 Trojan
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Gee one part . your post says west prices are twice the price . sound like your talking about everthing they sell . yes west seems to be a liltle higher in many cases . twice the price maybe once in a while . and west has some better prices on somethings the gap has closed a lot in the past few years .

I used to buy at BW 9 to 1 over West now I go to west almost every time
A much better run outfit and its showing .

I am sorry to see them go but glad it was not West .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Post by jon_e_quest »

[quote="prowlersfish"]...the gap has closed a lot in the past few years .quote]

I always valued BW as a way to keep WM's prices in check. And comparing catalogs will show WM is, in fact, higher in price. Well, there's no price gap to close when BW closes it's doors. And I think it goes without saying that less competition for WM means higher prices for boaters.
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

jon_e_quest wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:...the gap has closed a lot in the past few years .quote]

I always valued BW as a way to keep WM's prices in check. And comparing catalogs will show WM is, in fact, higher in price. Well, there's no price gap to close when BW closes it's doors. And I think it goes without saying that less competition for WM means higher prices for boaters.

I agree and I do belive west is higher but to say their twice the price is a liltle off . I do think there is other companys that will help keep prices in check on the net and defender a tleast I hope so
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Neither one of them have been competitive for years. Find the place in your area where boat yards, commercial fishermen and charter boat owners go. Mine is Barbours Marine Supply in Beaufort, NC. Half price or lower on anything at West Marine or Boaters World.....consistently!!!
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Right on Danny! How do you think BW & WM pay the big store bills? I usually buy from my local Chandler. I always shop the price to be sure of what I should be paying and don't nickle and dime the local guy. The exception is when the big guys have a sale on something that I know is a good buy. Jimbo
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

I have to admit I bought all the epoxy to perform my stringer replacement at west marine and actually got the best deal on the market and still do this with name brand items (not west marine branded).

So for now I do the research online at discount marine, defender, ect. print out the page with price and matching item number , bring it into the store for a price match (you have to have the document with you).

For example :West system resin on sale online was $56/gallon and west marine was $95/gallon. So they matched it.

The other bonus is the purchase gets applied to the club discount so for every $100 I spend (If they are still doing it this year) in the end I get another 10% off down the road.

So all in all, I hope the west marine here stays in business because its the only boat store around, except for the marinas where there is an extra 20% tacked on because you can see boats while shopping.

I just wouldn't trust a big ticket item at west marine without doing the research first.
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

The going out of business sale sign was up at Boater's World in Seekonk, MA when I drove by there today.

ChuckA
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

same here in toms river nj sign went up today 10-30% off