history on the F36?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kevin babineau
Moderate User

history on the F36?

Post by kevin babineau »

what does everyone know about this boat? history? was trojan always trojan? bertram? what happened? how many years did this platform run? what years did they change the 460? did the 74 to whenever have the bunkbeds or was that an option instead of the dinette? what type of power did the boat come with over the years? crusader? merc? what r the major differences between the first runs and the newer models? updates? shower stalls? any info and/or links would be great..thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

First there was never a trojan built by bertram ( broker tell you they are all day long) . Trojan and bert were owned by the same company for a few years . the bunks were on the early one and the dinette was a opption that may have be come std later on . the shower stall started with the 78 model year ( mine was built late 77 and has it ) the early boats had the 440 Chrysler untill the late 80s ? Chrysler started using the 460 ford to replace the 440 for a few years . I know of one boat that had 440 go bad and one engine was replace with a 460 under warntey . latter year boats got the 454 chevys . a diesel was offered a cummins 504 v8 diesel . there are a lot of F36 running a round with the 6BTA diesels (6cly) .. these are repowers ( mine came with 440s)

http://www.trojanboats.net/TB%20History.htm

hope this helped I do not know the exact years of some changes so thayts why I said about.
Last edited by prowlersfish on Tue May 05, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

thanks...so about the bertram thing ..they had the same owners but where they made by the same company? or just owned by the same company? meaning any design or designers end up on either boats?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

just owned by the same company (Whittaker I belive ) there may have been some Ideas exchanged ( I don't know of any) or markiting But really are completey diffrent boats with nothing in common other then they are all good boats . alot a folks call international trojans/ trojan bertrams I don't know how that got stated . It could have been markiting or rumors Next time I speak to John L I will ask .

I fully expect flak from some owners over this all the info on this I have seen is very vague

http://www.trojanboats.net/TB%20History.htm
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

The Manufacturer label on my boat says ''Bertram-Trojan''. I think the label is the only thing Bertram. I know a guy that worked in Lancaster on these boats and he said that as far as he knew, Nothing changed at all... Just who owned the company. All the same molds were used for the hulls with the same fiberglass and resins.
I have owned numerous International Series Trojans, both before and after the ownership change, and could never tell any difference at all.
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Nice looking vessel Jerry. Do you happen to have any pictures of the inside you'd like to share?
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

is jerry's boat the updated tri cabin?
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

LSP wrote:Nice looking vessel Jerry. Do you happen to have any pictures of the inside you'd like to share?
Thanks for the compliment. I do have some pics.... I will dig them out and post a few. The interior is all original.... The colors for me are hard to take. Everything is a pastel.
This winter it will be receiving a makeover with new fabrics, counters and carpet. Should be interesting. At least it will give me something to do while it is snowing out.