Repowering: 1976 F30 Express/2 Chrysler 318/s up for grabs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Tom Scott

Repowering: 1976 F30 Express/2 Chrysler 318/s up for grabs

Post by Tom Scott »

Hi folks:

I finally decided to re-power. My old 318/s are up for grabs. I replaced both carbs a year ago. They are Edlebrock four barrels and two new distributors replaced last year. The left engine has 200 hours and good compression, the right engine has 1100 hours and needs rebuilt.
I'm going to new PCM EFI 350/s. I figure going from 450 to 660 h.p. fuel injection has got to improve the numbers. The performance stats. from Trojan in 1976 were new light weight NO fly bridge included. Fly bridge was optional equipment. Add a Fly bridge and the 318/s don't do the job. NO Flybridge and the 318/s were adequate /add a flybridge and your under powered and a half mile to the gallon.

Tom Scott
zbigk

Post by zbigk »

Tom,

I repowered out 1982 F32 with the Crusader 350 EFI 330hp last year. WOW what a difference. Originally had original 350 Crusaders model 270.

Normal cruise w/old was 16-17 Knots. Now cruise at 20-21 knots using. Use much less gas. Top end hit 33.9 knots @ 5K RPM. (Downright dangerous). The also boat handles following seas much better.

You'll love'em! Good luck.

Zbigk
ZbigK
"Time Out"
Milford, CT
1982 F32 330hp MPI Crusaders
Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Thanks for the ecouraging numbers. Since I am pushing a 30 foot hull with flybridge those numbers sound great.
I have been seeing 12-15 kts for a half a mile per gallon. The Chrysler 318/s are dependable engine's however, I have had to keep my foot in the carburator to stay on plane. The PCM 5.7 EFI 330hp. should help me see an improvement in speed and economy. I am hoping for a mile per gallon or better. PCM is Pleasure Craft Marine and won the J.D. Powers award for best liked inboard engine of 2006. It is the same basic engine as the 5.7 EFI Crusader.

Thanks
Tom
count brewski

318's

Post by count brewski »

what exactly do you mean "up for grabs", and where are you located?
etpence

Post by etpence »

Tom
you should get good performance from the PCM engines I replaced my 318s with PCM MFI 350s at 330hp in a 30 1974 trojan sea raider FB and wow what a differance
I went from 16-17kts cruze to 20-21kts cruze and gained 1.8 gal per hour
on both engines Ive been very pleased with the PCM engines
todd 30'trojan Mio Mio 8)
Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Thanks fellows:

I appreciate the encouarging information. I have to get my new longer range fuel tanks installed. Once that is done we will go back in with the overhauled transmissions and finally the engine installations. Your numbers give hope to this old 318 driver.

Thanks again and I will update later.

Tom
sportfishermanssvc

Post by sportfishermanssvc »

Might be interested in one of those 318's as well. Drop me an email with a price and information on them. Sportfishermanssvc@ comcast . net