Trailering F 26

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

foofer b
Ultimate User

Trailering F 26

Post by foofer b »

Does anyone else trailer their F 26? Is it legal in your state without a wide load permit? Do the cops even check? Have any of you been ticketed for oversize load. Do you think the average cop has a tape measure??
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Does anyone else trailer their F 26?

Very few

Is it legal in your state without a wide load permit? the ma in my state Va
is 8'6" some states it is 8'
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Do the cops even check?

YES

Have any of you been ticketed for oversize load. No I obey the law

Do you think the average cop has a tape measure??

I would bet on it ,as it is a important tool for them
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
daydrmr999

Post by daydrmr999 »

I have a 25' express, on trailer, and here in california need a permit to tow. Still working on her so haven't got the permit yet...
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

I trailer my F26-in the spring to get it to Lake Erie-and again in the fall to get it from the lake to the limestone mines where I store it. I cant imagine loading a boat that size off and on a trailer week after week to take it to and from a ramp. Might have tried it back in my '20s, but not in my 50s. (my 19' Wellcraft could be a real pain on windy days).
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

Fines can be steep if you get caught.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Yeah, trailering it is a bit of a chore, as it is a beast!! of a boat to tow. My Chevy 2500hd hauls it well tho. 70 mph on the interstate is no problem. 4wd helps on the slippery ramps. Have had a few chinese fire drills getting her back on the trailer, but am getting much more proficient at handling her in tight quarters. Windy days can be a pain, but essentially it is just one more variable to consider. Have found that some ramps are poorly designed and best avoided, at least with a single screw inboard.
On the whole though, I am able to use my boat on many more waterways, from St. Augustine, Jacksonville, St. johns River, Kingsley Lake to northwest Florida at Panama city, Fort WaLTON, Destin, and south to the Keys. Plan a trip to the bahamas next spring. Can't do that if you are traveling only on y6our bottom!!
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
Agitator

Post by Agitator »

I keep mine on a trailer and use it most every weekend. I only have about 3 miles to travel to the ramp and since most of it is through town, I never get over 40mph. Watch the rudder!! I added an extra 2x6 to the runners to get it off the ground more. I also added trailer guides to the trailer to center the boat when loading. That can be a chore but the guides make it a piece of cake. I pull it with a dodge dakota V8 - no problems starting or stopping. The wide load limit here is 10' so I'm ok. I would not trailer it a long way with my set up, though. I do think its hard on the boat to trailer it but that's my opinion. The upside - no slip rent and I don't have to pay marina prices for gas!!!
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Wow, a Dakota to pull it. Do you have a tow package on your truck? I have considered taller bunk boards to raise the rudder, but for now just use a fairly low reciever at the hitch to keep the stern up. No slip fees and cheaper gas are nice, as is the covered storage I rent for $60 a month. That and only painting the bottom once eery five years (or more) is nice too! Send me pics of your boat.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
wvernie

Trailering F26

Post by wvernie »

Foofer b, the hardtop on your boat, is that an factory install? I would like to convert mine from canvas to a hardtop. We have had nothing but thunderstorms and more storms, the canvas is wearing me out!!
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

I think that is a factory hard top on Fooferb's F26. Here is a link to a thread that shows the hardtop project I built last year on mine.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... op++chucka
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Mine was a flybridge till the previous owner took it off. So I guess it is considered a hardtop. Chucka's top is sharp and probly weighs half or a third of mine.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
GARYGA

Post by GARYGA »

Well have I got experience for you. A little over a year ago I trailored a f308 (30 ft X 12.3 ft wide) on a tri axel trailor. I went from Utah interstate all the way to connecticut where I caught a ferry to orient point NY then to the Hampton Bay ny area. I had wide load permits needed in most of the 8/9 states. I did lie about my hight and my beam. Because I lied I didnt need escourts or follow vehicles.

" I LEARNED THE LESSON OF MY LIFE."

Im sharing this not because I'm proud but because I would never do this again and I would recommend not doing it either. Not only did I think i was going to hit every bridge for 2400 miles I didnt tell my two friends who were with me (lied to them too about the laws) and we were all not friends for months after the tow was over. (friends now) I also realized how dangerous it was the way I did this and am only blessed that no one was hurt.

by the way the troopers do carry tape measures both of the troopers in two different states. One was actually pulling it in and out as he was walking past my boat/trailor to me. The reason I wasnt halled in was their belief that I was a retired Policemen. The actual question about this never came up the assumtion was in my favor.

Thanks for your post and questions, My pennance for my past mistake is to always share this story if it can perhaps share insight on what not to do. By the way i am once again trying to always be truthful and obey the laws. Ya know its funny I was tought good principles at home as a child and in grade school, but its tacken me a life time to realize how important it is to do.

Enjoy your trip

GaryGa on the water in thHamptons.

"Peace"
1981 trojan f308
IN THE HAMPTONS
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

The transom, where you can measure it is within limits.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF