Getting gas from reserve tanks on 75 Tri-cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ncplmgr

Getting gas from reserve tanks on 75 Tri-cabin

Post by ncplmgr »

I have a 75 Tri-cabin 36 that I bought 2 years ago. Her fuel capacity has two mains and two reserve tanks. I filled her up when I brought her down the bay from Essex, MD to Urbanna VA. However, I could never get her to switch over to the reserves. I opened the valves on top of the reserves and closed the mains, but that did not work. Also, I assume the Reserve Fuel switch on the helm is to switch between the fuel levels in the mains and the reserves, but that has no impact on the guages. Any ideas? I'm still learning about this boat and am glad I found this forum for Trojan boat owners.
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

Although I have a '75 tri-cabin, sorry I can't be of any help. Have replacement fuel tanks for my mains, reserve tanks are goine.
ncplmgr

Post by ncplmgr »

Thanks. I probably won't use my reserves anymore either since it seems a hassle to try and switch over. I may have to pump the gas out of them. Were you having problems with your old fuel tanks clogging up filters? I've been told that the steel fuel tanks in these older boats often become corroded on the inside over the years and create problems.
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

I can only surmise that to be the case. The work was done by the previous owner.
ncplmgr

Post by ncplmgr »

Nice looking boat, David. I'm in the process of refurbishing mine on the inside and out. She needs a little TLC. Would love to see more pics of your boat if you have them posted somewhere. Looks like you still have the black accent stripe which I'm told is the original color scheme. I found that under the peeling burgundy paint on mine.