Rust in gas tanks

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

koviak
Moderate User

Rust in gas tanks

Post by koviak »

Hey all, I have a 1989 10 meter mc with twin 125 gal. tanks. Ran over the weekend and lost power on one engine. Did manange to get started to get home. Sunday pulled filters and dumped out to check, rust settled to the bottom of the bucket. Any suggestions on cleaning out tanks ? I put gas in almost every weekend to keep it fresh and use Star-tron additive in fuel.
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Your tanks are galvanized steel? If so you may be getting rust on the inside of the tank. There are previous posts about this, as well as advice on pumping out the tank. My single tank was a 75 gal galvanized steel one that started rusting on the inside. It got so bad I was concerned about it rusting through and dumping gas in the bilge. I replaced it with a 55 gal polypropelene (plastic) tank and have had no rust issues (obviously)....of course I did pump a few gallons of water into the tank one day....but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.....
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Do tell Randy ....interested minds want to know. :lol:
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If the tank are rusting out inside its time to get new tanks . There really is no other good choice.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Uhhhhh.....well, it was a case of mistaken identity......on the part of the water, not me........Just so happens I had BOTH fills open and they are next to each other (GREAT IDEA!!!!!). I was filling the water tank AND the gas tank and the stupid water thought it was gas and spilled over into the gas tank. Luckily it wasn't the other way around. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! Lesson learned the hard way.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Tanks are aluminium. Never seen one rust out but I have seen corroded exterior due to placement in the bilge. Don,t know where rust is from (brown as aluminium is more of a white powder). Has anyone used a service to polish there fuel ? 125 gal. side mount tanks are not coming out until I repower ( years down the road ).
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Probably the red sandy residue that separates from the fuel, it is a dirt based product after all. Sounds like you need to wash out your tanks & use spin on filters for the best filtration.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express