F26 V-Berth

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wvernie

F26 V-Berth

Post by wvernie »

We need an opinion from fellow 26 foot owners to settle a thing going between my wife and I. The issue is, when sleeping in the v-berth does the feet go forward towards the bow or feet facing the galley with the head at the bow. Now for consideration she states that she is 4'11" tall and barely 100 lbs soaking wet and I am 5'11'' 186 lbs. She made me type that so everyone would know all the particulars and if it helps any she has green eyes and red hair. Let the fireworks begin! (lol) Any comments and or suggestions will probably be used for future issues on this same subject the next time we overnight on the boat. Thanks to all for making this an interesting forum about the Trojan boats that we all proudly own!
daydrmr999

Post by daydrmr999 »

I think the obvious answer is sleep which ever way makes her happy...A happy wife makes for more boat time...for me the logical answer would be feet towards the bow, allowing for less head banging and more arm/body room.

Mike
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Put in the insert & go feet in the bow. On my boat there are lights on the locker walls. Feet in the bow, head by the lights.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

We sleep head to the bow . That the way she likes so thats the way it is :)

Btw The V berth is the worst part of my F36 Its just to dam small
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
cookscomp

Post by cookscomp »

Having your head in the bow you get fresh air from the hatch. If you have your feet in the bow you have to turn all the way around to get out of bed. I personally would like to be able to see the doorway if I wake up at night. The truth is though, most of the time my kids sleep in the bow, wife sleeps sideways there, and I sleep on the convertible. So there you go. Two cents and more. What the heck the convertible isn't that bad.
"Knot So Fast" 1975 F-26 Illinois River
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

how fortunate for those of you that HAVE an insert--- see previous post-- when i was growing up, my brother and i shared the forward bunk area and we had our heads facing the stern, but, because the way the f-36 tri cabin sat with the engines under the back bunk area (until the redesign in 1979) it was really uncomfortable. and yes, i could notice that my head was lower than my feet. it all depends on how the boat sits and what your comfort level is. now, who will let me trace their f-32 insert at st. michaels? any takers? yeah, i know, an odd request, but hey, it keeps me going.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Head in the bow for us. This way your climbing in from the foot of the bed and there's less chance of giving your partner a black eye with your knee while doing so in th middle of the night. :oops: We have a TV on the bulkhead over the closet so sleeping head forward also makes it easy to look back and see it from the V berth.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
g36
Moderate User

bow

Post by g36 »

on f32 feet to bow. we tried both ways for a while but found more head banging and also more noise since the fan for the ac is mounted on the stbd forward bulkhead. which would be almost be right over my head, woke me up just about evertime it came on. although my wife would disagree due to my snoring she couldnt believe it. but shes happier with feet to the bow. so am i. also mounted a 15" lcd tv on the door that goes to the anchor locker and lights and fan on the other bulkead by our head so i dont thing we will be going back the other way now
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
wvernie

Post by wvernie »

Thanks for the replys you have given us..its about 50/50 on where we put our feet. We sleep with our head to the bow even though I think it should be the other way but as most say..if momma ain't happy than nobody is going to be happy. Thanks for the comments guys.
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

We have a permanent insert on our F30 and sleep side to side. I'm 6'4" and it works fine.....
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

We sleep feet to the bow. She's 5'10" and I'm shrinking the older I get so we're both now about the same height. I like looking out the front windows at night and the hatch provides plenty of air to our torsos. At dock we put a fan mounted in the door to the rope locker and let it blow over the v-berth. That way, when it rains we still have plenty of airflow in the cabin.

The berth is plenty long enough and wide enough for us both, especially with the insert in it. Of course you could sleep whichever way both you prefer.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Redheads must always sleep facing forward ... but the Green Eyes may negate that ... unless the name of the vessel has been changed ....
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
wvernie

Post by wvernie »

To complicate matters even worse, the green eyed redhead is a descendant of Randall McCoy from Kentucky.
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

WE sleep with heads to the bow so we can see the door and the tv. Sometimes my better 2/3's occupies the dinnette.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Roy,

You've got me ... what is your "better 2/3's" ?

Tough mental image here ... :roll:
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17