rear bilge pump discharge

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

foofer b
Ultimate User

rear bilge pump discharge

Post by foofer b »

I have a rear bilge pump, a rule 500 (?) on my F26, near the rudder, and it discharges through the hull right above the boot stripe on the transom. The discharge hose loops upward a foot or so above the discharge fitting and then back down to the thru hull fitting.

Is the thru hull too low? Is there a risk of a reverse siphon if the stern squats too low, say the thru hull is underwater and the pump cycles on and off leaving the hose full of water. Should I move the discharge higher on the transom and if so, how best to plug the existing hole/fitting without trying to fiberglass the transom? Or how about a one way valve?
Oh and my boat is already a little tail heavy and squats considerably ( the 454 probably contributes to this) and with 4 divers and gear the discharge is at or under water.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: rear bilge pump discharge

Post by ready123 »

foofer b wrote:I have a rear bilge pump, a rule 500 (?) on my F26, near the rudder, and it discharges through the hull right above the boot stripe on the transom. The discharge hose loops upward a foot or so above the discharge fitting and then back down to the thru hull fitting.
That is what protects your concern. the pump won't suck thru the discharge hose. If it really ends up underwater then you should lift it higher, just punch another hole and fill/block off the old one.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It would only siphon back if the outlet was under water and the pump quit work when th line was full of water most of the time the pump will suck air before cuting off braking any siphon . the rasied loop helps. water would have to be above the loop for it to come back in if it gets that high you need more the that pump. with That said it would better off higher but the higher it is the less flow you will get from the pump
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
lobsterman28

stern bilge pump

Post by lobsterman28 »

I have a F-28 and my bilge drain hose is set up the same way. With weight the thru-hull migt be underwater, but when you are underway it's way out of the water. I have no problems with mine.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

leave that where it is Paul's right the loop will stop the water from coming in. But I'd put in a 2nd pump and mount the switch for it higher than the other and put in another hole for it. Pump size I'd go 2000 gal an hour.
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

The hose can siphon if the water on the inside is lower than the outside. Now the question. If the pump sucks air will it pump that air outside? I guess it could pump enough to put air in the line and break a siphon. That is a interesting thought.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

That's a thought. And a good reason for that 2nd pump and switch.