1970 Trojan Express 30' new to us, dual 318 cid

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

upstatedon

1970 Trojan Express 30' new to us, dual 318 cid

Post by upstatedon »

We decided to buy her today.
Pictures at the link below.
Will be bugging you all with many questions soon
Thanks in advance
Don

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/55 ... good-times
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Love it

Post by JuiceClark »

What a classic...congrats!!

Recover those cushions, have a mechanic go over stuff (look for fire hazards, etc.). Then go boating!!

Tony

1982 F-36
upstatedon

Post by upstatedon »

Thanks Juice,
My wife cant wait to recover the cushions!! so funny you mentioned that.
I already called my mechanic and of course he is on vacation until July 9th.
This is the upgrade from our classic 1975 Glastron V215, love the amount of cockpit room, we get a lot a visitors.

We just love the look of the vintage boats.
Don
rossjo
Ultimate User

Nice

Post by rossjo »

Very nice - enjoy!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Good for you! Great looking Trojan. You'll get plenty of help from this forum.

Congratulations!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
rickalan35
Moderate User

Congratulations

Post by rickalan35 »

Congrats. You're going to love those transmission controls when docking with those twin engines. Interior looks to be in lovely shape. Happy boating.

Rick
'74 Tri-Cabin
LAKEWIND30

30' SEA RAIDER AD

Post by LAKEWIND30 »

GREAT LOOKING BOAT. I HAVE ONE JUST LIKE IT. THEY ARE GREAT LITTLE CRUISERS. WAS INTERESTED IN THE AD COPY YOU HAVE. ANY CHANCE YOU COULD MAIL ME A COLOR COPY? I WILL GLADLY COVER THE POSTAGE AND YOUR TROUBLE.

THANKS,
LAKEWIND30
Dollarbill63

What is under that carpet?

Post by Dollarbill63 »

Looks like from the brochure it may be a teak floor also?? That would be sweet... refinish that then you can lighten up the boat with a lighter fabric or pleather on the interior. I just ripped out the carpet on my '78 30' Express and went with a vinyl plank cherry wood floor that would make the enthusiast cringe but looks darn good and was about the same price if less than carpet. Matches the wood perfectly and at 69 cents a sq ft was quite worth it... not slippery when it gets wet.. and you just trim it with an exacto knife and put it down. We staggered the seams so it looks like real hardwood planks.

What about your interior? Are you going to recover with fabric or pleather? I have a similar sofa/settee as yours and will get mine recovered over the winter. The fake leather is about the same as fabric.. but I wonder if it will be too "sticky"? The upholster guy is going to put a crease in the back 2/3 of the way up to break up the vast plainness of the seat back while maintaining functionality. I went on too long.... ENJOY
upstatedon

Post by upstatedon »

Thanks for all the comments.
The back deck is teak, and does need to be refinished, I do not think it needs replacement.
I will post more photos on the webshots link.
We have not yet done anything to the interior except condition all that nice mahogany.
Projects at the top of the list are:
Replace/fix fuel gauges.
Repair/repalce original fridge, love the doors, and will not remove them.
I can try to have a color copy made of the original brochure and I have a sea trial report reprint from "boat world" if anyone wants that, its easy as it's black and white and can copy at home.

So far we have removed the old Bennett Trim tabs, as the leakproff seal was leaking, no more hole at the transom water line thank goodness, have all the removed parts if anyone needs something let me know. Made for a very interesting Sunday night trying hard to plug this hard trickle...

Thanks
Don