New ignition system on 318s

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jordan
Sporadic User

New ignition system on 318s

Post by jordan »

Has any one removed the stock electronic ignition on their 318s. I would like to remove the system as to eliminate the ballast resistor. Even though it is a $6.00 part it is a pain in the butt. I put electric fuel pumps on my boat and wired them like the instructions show, to the coil, but the ballast resistor drops the voltage to much. The pumps would not run on the 8 volts going to the coil. After trouble shooting for a few hours trying to figure out why the pumps wouldn't run, I rewired to a 12 volt source and the pumps work great. Then soon after I lost spark to the port engine and traced that back the ballast resistor. Now reading about upgrading the system to an after market product , I found ACCEL makes a distributor that has all the componets inside, meaning I can eliminate the control module and ballast resistor. By doing this I would have new carbs, new fuel pumps and a new ignition system, hopefully a trouble free system. The ACCEL unit has a full 12 volts going to the coil and the coil puts out almost 50,000 volts to the plugs allowing you to open the gap of the plugs and possibly gaining a little better fuel burn.

Any comments would be welcomed., Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
rossjo
Ultimate User

Marine Unit

Post by rossjo »

Just make sure its a MARINE UNIT - approved by USCG, etc.

This is for safety to avoid explosions with spark avoidance. The car units don't care about spark as much, as gas fumes exit the bottom of the engine compartment freely.

In a boat, the gas vapors sit in your bilge ... waiting ....
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17